• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The humble Port-A-Band

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of us on here love our milwaukee Portabands. I
I know Kevin and I do.

I've used these since my early apprentice days and have loved them ever since. The portability offers numerous advantages without sacrificing quality of work capacity.

I figured I'd post this for those looking for a bandsaw but lack room. Portabands are durable and blades are cheap. They run at a low RPM and cut serious metal......accurately once you get used to it.

I'm building a table, basically a replica of the one pictured below on my 1940's Sears bandsaw.
20161209_144736.jpg

The table is for my profile belt sander. I like the simplicity and rawness of my old bandsaw table, so that's my project.

Below shows how nice it is to use a portaband. Look carefully, the portaband is cutting a miter at 45° 1/8" think steel. With a steady hand it cuts it flat and straight.
20161209_152459.jpg

Because it's portable you can cut on clamped parts anywhere.
20161209_152656.jpg

If you look closely above the saw is cutting a nice miter on that 1/8" steel.

And it's accurate in my welding jig. You can see the cut-offs, all this from a stout portable saw.
20161209_152904.jpg

Here in the jig mitered, clamped and ready for welding.
20161209_160059.jpg

When it comes to homebuilding airplanes and equipping a shop with tools, I wouldn't even do it unless I have one. My standard bandsaw really doesn't get used much.

Scrap

Back