• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Aircraft VW reliability - What have we learned?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a different thread here we got a little off topic about the use of VW's in airplanes. Based on reading & research over the years I've walked away with the impression that there's far to many that stop in mid air, burp on take-off, overheat, crack cranks, smoked valves, lack power etc.

In the reports I've read many that basically had the pilot with a quit engine and nobody knows why. Like a big mystery.

Nobody seems to agree on how to mount a prop hub. Nobody seems to agree on realistic HP.

Now, I also understand the opposite. Not only do I know people personally who have enjoyed a lifetime of VW reliability on airplanes but there's guys here on the forum who are extremely experienced building and flying them.

So, maybe I'm wrong, or have the wrong impression of these. I'm willing to accept a bias, but I'd like to find out why.

So I started thinking. How many people don't fly because they don't trust VW's? How many people currently fly a VW in a dangerous configuration? For some reason there's two groups that either love them or hate them. Why?

What have we learned about VW conversations over the last few decades that make this engine good or bad?

Let's be specific, when we are old or dead people will read this thread and either learn from it or walk away confused. There's smart people here, I'm willing to bet this thread could be the ultimate VW builders thread.

Anybody want to start? I have to listen because I'm out of my element on the VW engine.

Back