+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy in Ohio: Considering the Legal Eagle Ultralight

New Guy in Ohio: Considering the Legal Eagle Ultralight

Hello everybody, I'm Dave. I don't fly yet, so I figured an ultralight would be the way to get started.

I was considering LSA planes when I stumbled onto the Legal Eagle Ultralight. It's really got my attention, mostly for the simplicity, and partially because it's an ultralight. It's cheap and uses a 1/2 VW engine. The Legal Eagle designer also uses the "better half" system, so I won't actually need to cut the engine block.

Here is the link.
    Leonard Milholand's Better Half VW and Legal Eagel Ultralight!

Has anyone else heard of/built/currently own one of these?

Also, are there many members from Ohio here? It would be a big help to actually meet people who could give me advice, and teach me about the characteristics of airplanes.

Re: New Guy in Ohio: Considering the Legal Eagle Ultralight

hi dave my name is marc lawyer im building a double eagle . i think the legal eagle is a great build for the money and a nice plane. but you can build the double for not much more and take a friend.check out my blog at paintmastersone.blogspot.com

Rom

Hello Dave,

Welcome neighbor to the group.

I don't know anything about the legal eagle but there is a lot of information about aircraft building and characteristics on this forum. If you search through the old posts you will see.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by redmarcer View Post
    hi dave my name is marc lawyer im building a double eagle . i think the legal eagle is a great build for the money and a nice plane. but you can build the double for not much more and take a friend.check out my blog at paintmastersone.blogspot.com
    C'mon Marc... tell us you didn't pick the "Legal" Eagle because your name is Marc "Lawyer".

(You've probably heard that plenty of times before)

Quote Originally Posted by seabeepirate View Post
    Hello everybody, I'm Dave. I don't fly yet, so I figured an ultralight would be the way to get started.

I was considering LSA planes when I stumbled onto the Legal Eagle Ultralight. It's really got my attention, mostly for the simplicity, and partially because it's an ultralight. It's cheap and uses a 1/2 VW engine. The Legal Eagle designer also uses the "better half" system, so I won't actually need to cut the engine block.

Here is the link.
    Leonard Milholand's Better Half VW and Legal Eagel Ultralight!

Has anyone else heard of/built/currently own one of these?

Also, are there many members from Ohio here? It would be a big help to actually meet people who could give me advice, and teach me about the characteristics of airplanes.
    Now that they have done away with ultralight instruction you will need to get some instruction in a light sport or small tail wheel airplane. The Legal Eagle will be more challenging to fly than most UL's. It will fly more like a Piper Cub.
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified have been doing the impossible now for so long with so little we now feel it's possible to do anything with nothing.

http://www.azairframe.com/index.html

G'day mate,
    Hi, and welcome. In the past, I have been known to say not so nice things about this little plane - but since having tried to design and build an aircraft myself, my carping about aesthetics etc now sounds extremely uncharitable, and with hindsight, somewhat mean. I know how hard it is to design a good, safe, and cheap aircraft. And the Legal Eagle is all three.

Build it - that's my advice. I think you will be very glad you did.

Regards,
    Duncan

Morning I'm tom and am building a Mini Max but in the beginning I fell in love with the "Legal Eagle" I only changed because of my close proximity to Izon 45 miles just to make materials avalible (Handy Is no small issue) Oh I'm form the Neighborhood. Parma Good luck very solid choice on first build! Tommy G.
    reguards , tom gahan

Banned

Hi Guys,

I had a Legal Eagle fuse/tail with Delta "Honcho" wings on it. Also had the Valley engineering Big Twin. It was a fun airplane to fly and the four stroke power really kept the cost down at only about 1 gallon an hour of fun!

If you build one, you will enjoy it! Great little ultralight airplane!

I have several videos of it up on You Tube.

Sincerely,
    Doug Hart

Hi Dave - I am not building right now but have been considering for years and have gained much insight from this forum. I am also from Ohio - Streetsboro. If your close by I wouldn't mind meeting up some time once you get your project started. I can share insight into piloting (I am a private pilot) and would like to help out anyone in the area anyway I can with building.

Shoot me a PM if you would ever like to get together.

Also - not to hijack - but Tom, I saw you said Izon is 45 miles away - what is Izon (is that supposed to be ison?) and where are they? BTW - If you need some extra labor I'd like to volunteer since you are only 25 minutes away.

-Sean.

Morning, Sorry, Ison Builds the Mini-max kits They are In Nappennee Ind. which is 20 miles south of South Bend Ind. My location 30 miles north East of South Bend(Can't get their from here)!! Thanks for the offer If your'e close holler and come by for tour of my hobby shop
    reguards , tom gahan

Ok - I thought you said you were from Parma - which is a cleveland suburb.

Morning, Key word here is "FROM" Left 45 years ago (Marines) Live in middle between Cleveland and Chicago, Been on this Mini max for about,(Note Join date) So Much for the 500 Hours! I'm a builder don't care much about flying, did that when I was younger . I've got great work shop at camp ground and am simi retired. so projects keep me out of mischief! Tom gaham
    reguards , tom gahan

dwg

Hey Dave, My name is Dave and I just joined this group. I am from New Philadelphia (about an hour south of you). After perusal of your threads, the best advice that you have received in my opinion was to seek out a local EAA chapter. If you regularly fraternize with them you will get in the air. Just be sure you offer them some realistic gas money and you will fly often. PS: My son goes to The University of Akron so I am sometimes in your area. Contact me if you want to know more. Dave Gray

HI guys. You seem to all have a wealth of knowledge so......I have been looking with great interest at the Legal Eagle XL (since I am 6-5 and weigh 235 lbs). My problem is I am a rookie welder so will have to contract out the welding. Can anybody give me any idea how much welding needs to be done (quantity and time since I will probably have to pay by the hour)? Thanks for the info.

Been out of touch, How goes the project I better do this correctly and research what you have posted but I''m a retard at this posting and runting artound a forum . I'm getting shop together and have high hopes for for my Z max. hope you have started to make progress and not let all that welding hold you back ,Like tile cutting I look at it as theropy! Bese of luck tommy
    reguards , tom gahan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast