• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New Member: Building an One of a kind aircraft over time how and why I came here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepsi71ocean

Sorry for the long introduction. I’m John and I am from Jersey. I currently work doing trucking and hardscaping, However I trade stocks and futures on the market. I am a dreamer, but I am also a realist. And when you’re done reading this I hope it will make some sense. This long sequence of paragraphs below will explain why I am here.

Ok I have always had a Mustang bug ever since my granddad used to tell me stories about them during the wars (WW2 and Korea). He was a SMS and eventually became a chief of a mechanic crew that worked on P-51s. So naturally he had tons of stories about them. Hearing all of the stories about the Mustang and its pilots gave me the Mustang bug I have now. I have always wanted to own a P-51D, however the extreme cost (for both maintain and purchasing the airplane) have proved to be a challenge. Undaunted I decided to press on, and at first I found the Titan-51, eventually I found the S-51, and then I moved to the FEW(Legendary Aircraft)-51. After bouncing around a lot of different ideas and ideals I ended up back with the S-51. After settling on the S-51 design I then decided to modify the airplane so I can do what I want it to do. I have issues with going slow, if I wanted to go slow I’d buy a Cessna, :grin:

I have set out these markers as things I want the plane to do.
1. Cruise at about 340-360mph at a reasonable RPM
2. Make a more reliable motor
3. Modify the plane so I can have a high cruse speed in excess of 400mph (if I need to get away from a weather front or something).
4. be able to carry backpack luggage in the wings and an additional passenger.
5. Cruise at an altitude greater then 30,000 feet.

Now I know that in order to do the extreme modification of increased altitude cursing speed, requires a larger engine, one that cannot be a V-8 by design.

About 2 years ago I started working at a gas station and eventually became a mechanic; I’ve also worked on marine engines for most of my life. So I have a good knowledge of engine design and configuration. Now this isn’t to say I know everything as when I get back from vacation I’ll post a thread under Firewall foreword about my engine in depth.
The 2.13:1 ratio for the PRSU that is in the S-51D was too much, along with the high RPM speed of 3,800 for any time for cruising also to me to high an RPM. The cruise speed of 285mph was to slow for me, as I would like to make it to Florida from here in less than 4-5 hours. Thus a redesign was necessary. After a lot of engine design changes and modifications on the drawing board I have figured that a two stage supercharged stroker V-10, of about 1,063CID would be sufficed as it is the maximum I could fit into the front of the S-51. A V-12 would be too big and too heavy, conversely a V-8 to small. As it is; I expect the V-10 including the PRSU of my design to be about 44 inches long.

Next, research provided me with Vne speeds in excess of 350mph, although there are a few reports that the S-51 when built properly will handle speeds up to around 439knots. If there are any Stewart Owners I’d like back up on that. Although research can prove so much, I’d like to know if there are any S-51D owners of the Stewart design. If there are, I’d like to hear your thoughts and complaints about the aircraft, and the weaknesses of it. Also does anyone know the engine compartment size? I’m talking from front end (with spinner and cowl) to the firewall also from port to starboard. This way I can figure out how much room I have to reconfigure the engine so it can fit. If all else fails I can always add 2 extra cylinders and increase the bore and stroke and build a 1:1 replica. That is a basic about the engine but I have a lot more for an in-depth analysis for a later topic. The engine will be built first in the progression of things.

A lot of writing but I figured it was about time to take the next step, and that would be going to a forum where knowledgeable people will be able to help. Engine wise might be a different issue within its self.

Any ideas, or do you guys think I’m nuts:nervous:?

Last edited:
Back