• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello from Texas....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGM

Hey Guys & Gals,

L.G. from Texas here... Been lurking around trying to get a handle on things. Thought I'd toss a few things out and see what others thoughts are. I'm in Amarillo, dead center of the Panhandle. (We're closer to Denver, CO than we are to Austin, TX.)
Anyway, not a lot of choices for training etc. I've wanted to fly since I was a kid, but somehow life & times always seemed to get in the way, so I pretty much gave up on the idea. Then I came across info on the Sport Pilot and Light Sport planes, started doing some research and came to the conclusion, the dream isn't dead. :)
About the only issue I have to get past are the options concerning training and what type of plane.:confused: As for training, I think I have two choices -
1. PPL Local traning, MUCH more expensive - around 10,000.00 and pretty much at someone else's schedule.
2. Two week accelerated courses (I hesitate to say "crash") for Sport Pilot. I'd have to travel,but thats fine if I can fit it into a "long vacation" 2-3 weeks. Then after that come back and possibly continue with PPL. Right now I'm leaning towards option 2. Don't need to fly for business, just looking to "get up there", but safely, with an occasional long haul of 250 miles or so...

Now, on to planes.... I'm not looking to go to fast too far, but I would like a range of maybe 300 miles. (My daughter lives in OK City, about 250 miles away) I'd prefer low wing, 2 across. I used to race cars (late model and dirt sprint.) so I've got a reasonably well equiped shop, and decent fab skills.
I've looked at about everything I can find, but I'm leaning towards two options. The KR2s (or possibly the fully composite KRSuper2 that Scott Watts is building.) and the Vision by American Afordable/ProComposites. Neither are LSA by design, but both COULD be, I believe.
I keep flip flopping. Vision info is fairly scarce and the public user group seems pretty quiet, the KR seems to have a pretty healthy user base for support but the company may be having some difficulty. (I've also joined the respective groups)
I really like the idea of full composite, versus composite over wood. (Don't ask my why, just seems like a more "modern" process to me.) But I also wouldn't rule out a metal plane either. I already have the brakes, drill presses, welders, shears & most of the metal working tools etc. So, I'm open to suggestions. Comfortable for 300 mile flights, reasonable close to LSA max speeds (until PPL down the read...) stable enough an inexperienced pilot can handle. Looking forward to hearing suggestions...

Thanks & take care,

L.G.

Back