• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Yet another new guy! (has anyone ever built a Christavia?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Aviator in SC

Hello Folks!

Was very encouraged reading through the forums this morning! Some great info here, that I can’t readily access anywhere else. Thanks to the admin, for recent advertisements in sport aviation for the forum site, it’s how I found my way.

Working on my first project, a plans built Christavia MK1 of Ron Mason design. The plans were originally purchased in 1984 or so, by a fellow, local chapter friend of mine. He has been on an RV building tangent for about 12 years (about to fly his 5th RV!) and never built the Christavia. After lengthy discussions about RV’s, and my own delay in ordering an RV-8 tail kit for a laundry list of reasons (factory prototype accident, Sep 11th, kit costs, cross country relocation, construction of a hanger, etc.), I mentioned to him my general love of tandem configuration airplanes. I’ve always loved the look of T-34’s, T-38’s, Pilatus, Starduster Too, even the simple Champ and SuperCub. Ray, my friend said, “I’ve got some old plans that I bought 15 years ago, why not look them over, if you like it build it?” I had already decided that the Starduster plans I’d purchased were just too complex for a first time plans built project, so I compared the sets of plans.

Two weeks of study of the well drawn plans and I was convinced that I had the desire and abilities to give it a try. Starting slowly at first I researched wood and fabric, compiled a list of suppliers and ordered some catalogs. I tagged every website on the internet that I could find on the subjects and saved them to favorites. I set up my garage as a factory, built a prototype rib from scrap pine and discussed it with a local AI. The project has since progressed and I am now in fact saying that, “I am building an airplane” instead of just “messing around” in the garage! All of the wing ribs are complete, the spars have been ordered and the steel is being shipped this week.

As a neophyte, I have a million questions about things like welding up an engine mount, AN hardware selection, planning weight and balance during construction, fabric systems, laying out an electrical system and all the other things so many of you have been through. I was glad to find the forum, because, although there are a few very talented people in my local area, central South Carolina in general is neither a hot bed of homebuilding aviation nor engineering talent. My local chapter really doesn’t have an individual that has the ability to act as a total project Technical Counsel, so I throw myself on your collective mercies!

Looking forward to some great interactions;
Todd

Back