• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hello

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackshire

Hello All,

Although I'm a native of Miami, Florida (a place where it is very hard to *not* become acquainted with aviation! :) ), I now live in Fairbanks, Alaska, which is another place that owes much to aviation for its economic status. I came across the HBA forum quite by accident while looking up information on motorjet (ducted fan) powered aircraft a few weeks ago--in the citations list was a long but fascinating HBA thread about Malish's PJ-II Dreamer motorjet-powered, fighter-like sport kit aircraft.

For financial reasons, I never built or owned a full-scale aircraft (although I got the chance to fly aboard and briefly pilot a two-seat Schweizer sailplane on two occasions back in 1975). Today, I could never pass the physical to get a powered aircraft pilot's license, and I wouldn't try for even a glider pilot's ticket now, being on morphine. But I have followed and supported (via person-to-person advocacy) the experimental (homebuilt) aircraft movement ever since I learned of its existence over thirty years ago. Also:

A surprising number of people still don't know that it is perfectly legal (provided that the relevant regulations are observed) to design, build, and fly one's own aircraft, and that even non-ultralight kit planes--ranging in complexity from sailplanes to gas turbine jets--are readily available. While I haven't participated personally in this field, I am familiar and conversant with the technologies, materials, and techniques involved. One particular interest I have is researching old airframe and powerplant design ideas that were promising but which faded into obscurity because the technology of their day wasn't up to the task, and/or because an economic need for them hadn't developed yet. There are many examples of these concepts that--with today's technologies, computer design tools, and materials--could now be practical for use in homebuilt aircraft, and I look forward to ruminating upon these and many other HBA-related things with you all.

-- Jason

Back