• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New to Homebuilt Airplanes.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Armstrong

Hello, I came across this excellent website via a Google search for 'Experimental aircraft forums'. I have had a bad case of 'builders itch' for several years. I've been going to AirVenture for the past few years in search of a project without coming across anything that has really sparked my interest for very long. But I have noticed that the most pictures I take are always of a Ryan ST-A that’s hangered at Pioneer Airport. The classic, open cockpit, 30’s style of aircraft are what I’m most interested in building. So far, Warner Aerocrafts Sportster is the best candidate to build I have found. It has the looks I like and it’s being re-engineered to fit the new LSA category, which I’m also interested in.

Something else I really enjoy is the look of bare aluminum skin. That Ryan at Osh is a beauty and if I could duplicate that I would be very happy indeed. With that in mind, the only problem with the Sportster is it is a steel tube and fabric design. The wings are going to be made of aluminum for the LSA Sportster but the fuselage will remain fabric covered. I have received good incite into skinning the steel frame with aluminum from contributors like Orion to my ‘Fuselage Question’ post in the Beginners Questions and also the Sheet Metal categories. Looks like it is possible but I need to research it more.

Anyhoo, I haven’t flown for years and with the advent of Sport Pilot and LSA’s I have a renewed interest in flying and building (I’ve already built a shop for an airplane project). This is a great site for information, glad to be here.

Mike Armstrong

http://www.warnerair.com/

http://www.airminded.net/st/st.html

Back