• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Stinger-320/360

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlknolla

Well I introduced myself earlier and included a scanned sketch of my current concept which I am calling the Stinger.

I know most of the projects are more build projects, but I will be completing the design phase over the next several months and figure it might be educational for myself and others to log this phase.

My primary mission will be long distance X-ctry, 500-1000nm, solo, with maybe a single 22"x14"x10" pullman bag (~40 lbs). I originally intended to make it a single seater or 1+1, but eventually decided that the RV-4 was a good target and settled on 2-seats with overlapped seating ala the RV series and many gliders, placing the passenger feet at about the knees on the pilot.

While I enjoy flying as much as the next guy, when it comes to travel there is no substitute for speed, so I set 215 KTAS as my target cruise speed. I also know that crash energy is related to approach speed (most accidents are in the TO and LDG phases), so I set 60 mph (52 KTAS) as my target stall speed.

From this general description, I crafted a couple MSExcel spreadsheets based on the works of Thurston and Hollmann (yes, I know), and then compared the results to spreadsheets from Roncz and Raymer. I like the sanity check this multiple approach method provides during initial sizing and performance prediction - if anything is way out of whack it becomes obvious.

I originally intended a 3-Lifting Surface (3LS) design, but am now leaning towards a conventional layout with T-tail. I am also working on carving the airframe down to the best overall balance of small size and comfort. I started with a 28-30" width, but am now thinking more like 24-26" as I do some simple mockups.

Construction will utilize the fold-a-plane concept pioneered by Steve Rahm. I plan to pick up Zeke Smith's book, and may even invest in a set of Vision plans just to have good examples.

That's it for now, got to get back to work.

Back