• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Conceptual Design of "TurboLite", a light turboprop aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK95

Design Inspiration

I'm rather fond of tandem two-seater aircraft mostly because of the aesthetic of centerline flying. I'm also interested in turboprop trainer aircraft such as the Beechcraft Texan T-6 II and Embraer Super Tucano. Of course, the turboprops in those aircraft are much too complex for a homebuilt.

My goal is to design a homebuilt, low-wing tandem seating aircraft with a look and style inspired by such military turboprop trainers. This means scaling down the size, complexity and power. Unlike such turboprops trainers with their powerful turbopros (700+ hp), my design would be designed around the PBS TP-100 180kW shaft output (240 hp) turboprop engine. Performance will be optimized around this engine. As a baseline, I would like for my design to perform at least as good as a 200 hp Vans RV-8.

Design Methodology

I will be utilizing Roskam, Raymer, and Nicolai's books where appropriate. For example, Nicolai breaks down his data into more groups than does Raymer. Roskam, even more so. For example, Roskam breaks down his fuel fraction data for a variety of aircraft while Raymer just uses averages for certain fuel fractions.

My design process will mostly follow Roskam but multiple sets of calculations will be done to with Roskam's, Raymer's, and Nicolai's methods to compare.

General Design Goals

• Folding Wing
  • Low Wing
  • All aluminum structure with use of composites in select areas
  • Tandem Seating
  • Aerobatic capabilities
  • Trailerable in regulation size trailer in all states
  • Retractable Gear
Performance Goals
Note: All performance is at Gross Takeoff Weight at ISA conditions unless stated otherwise

Minimum Allowable Performance
Cruise Speed (75% power) at Altitude: 150 kts
Clean Stall Speed: 60 kts
Range: 500 sm w/ 100 sm (20%) reserves
Rate of Climb: 1,000 fpm
Service Ceiling: 15,000 ft
Takeoff Distance: 1,500 ft
Landing Distance: 1,500 ft
Design Load Factor: +5, +2

Performance Goal
Baseline reference is RV-8A with 200 hp engine at 1800 lb gross takeoff weight
Cruise Speed (75% power at 8000 ft): 180 kts (208 mph)
Clean Stall Speed: 50.4 kts (58 mph)
Range (75% power at 8000 ft): 670 nm (770 sm)
Rate of Climb: 1,800 fpm
Service Ceiling: 21,500 ft
Takeoff Distance: 500 ft
Landing Distance: 500 ft
Design Load Factor: +6, +3

Specifications
Crew and Passenger Weight: 520 lb (Two 95th percentile males)
Baggage/Payload Weight: 80 lb
Maximum Length: 25 ft
Maximum width with wing folded or removed: 7.5 ft
Maximum height with tail held down: 7.5 ft

Back