• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

My last Cessna 172 restoation project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pops

I found this 1959 Cessna 172 with 1710 TT since new and had just be annualed 7 times in its life. Stored in a dry barn on a farm strip and engine ran along with the farm tractors every month for a hour or so.
The farm strip had been planted in crops so the aircraft had to disassembled and trucked home.
Airframe stripped and painted , all new hardware including control cables, tunbuckles , bolts, etc, down to every washer. If it didn't look new it was replaced. All the windows and windshield was original and looked new. New alum baffling seals on engine along with an overhaul on the engine to factory new specs (not serviceable limits) alone with carb and gen and new Slick mags and harness. New interior and headliner.
New Cleveland wheel and brakes and tires and tubes, etc, etc, etc,

First pictures of my daughter and I unloading the 172. Trying different strippers to see which one works the best,( different paint different stripper). Picture of my daughter starting to remove the old upholstery.
She can also overhaul engines, and I wouldn't paint an airplane without her help. She is good and knows what she is doing.

Dan

Attachments

• 002_2.jpg
    002_2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 005_5.jpg
    005_5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 257
  • 006_6.jpg
    006_6.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 007_7.jpg