• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airdrome Aeroplanes 75% Fokker Dr1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyvulcan

As if I don't have enough on my plate (Komet jet build in Australia and Lightning Bug rebuild in the US), I've now started an Airdrome Aeroplanes 75% Fokker Dr1 triplane here in the desert of the Middle East to help pass the time here. I am building the aircraft in partnership with a fellow Ozmate who is flying for a local airline. To view information about the kit, check out the Airdrome Aeroplanes website at Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO

Our first build session only lasted 1 hour and we knocked up a jig for the rudder. We traced a full sized template onto a sheet of MDF and cut some small blocks which we screwed to the pattern to hold the aluminium tubing in place.

image.jpg

The next day, we marked and drilled the required holes in the rudder main spar for the ribs and rudder bow. After drilling the holes, we filed them to tidy them up and removed all burrs in and around the holes. This took around 2 hours. Robert Baslee who sells the kit does this all in a much shorter timeframe, but we were being quite pedantic about alignment of the holes, and finishing/deburring of all holes. We want to do this build as well as possible.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

All holes are now finished. All ribs and bows fit nicely into their slots.

Next, we will bend up the bow and attach all ribs/bows to the spar.

Back