• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dakota Hawk - Manti, Utah

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John P

I have been contemplating this project for some time, and have really appreciated the many detailed photos and descriptions by "Danielle" (Dakota Hawk , Belfast Maine) with her Dakota Hawk in this forum. That project doesn't show that it is completed on this Forum, but I have heard, if true, from Fisher Aircraft (the maker of the kits and plans) that her Dakota Hawk has been completed. I hope I am accurate in reporting that. At any rate, the workmanship in that project is very good.

I just received my plans from Fisher the other day, and have been reviewing them, and working on my construction table in our two-car garage, which I have now renamed "The Hangar." I should be able to park the plane in there in the winter months with the wings folded. But let's not get too far ahead yet.

This is a "plans only" project, with all parts but the specialty items to be scratch built. I build harps as a profession, we we have the woodworking equipment. We also have a small machine shop, which should be sufficient for the non-specialty Dakota Hawk metal parts.

I hope to be posting periodic progress reports and photos here. Feel free to message me with comments, corrections, etc.

Following is one of the more attractive, completed Dakota Hawk's I've seen. I don't recall where on the web I found it, but my compliments to the builder Sergey Riabsev.

555185.jpg

Likewise I don't intend on installing wheel pants, as I may end up landing this thing in some desolate (but not too rough) places. Paul at Fisher Aircraft said larger tires up to about 24" diameter shouldn't affect the flying characteristics. I think I'll be putting on 21 in diameter tires--stock ones are 18" diameter.

Feb 3, 2014

John P

Last edited:
Back