+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soviet X14 Ultralight

Wink Soviet X14 Ultralight

Came across this "vintage" ultralight today. Anyone else ever heard of it? Seems like an interesting design, thought at first glance I'd say the wings are WAYYYYYYYYYYY to small to actually fly supporting a person. Though with a big enough engine and going fast enough I suppose it may be possible.

Some Basic Specs:
    Engine 42 hp Propeller 2-blade wooden fixed 3,3 ft dia Landing gear trigear Length 10,76 ft Wing Span 17,2 ft Wing Area 21,1 sq.ftEmpty Weight 100 lb Gross Weight 277 lb Wing Loading 13,2 lb / sq.ft Power Loading 6,59 lb / hp Fuel Capacity n.a. Top Speed 80 mph Stall Speed 26 mphBldg. Materials Wing: wood, fabric, composite
    Tail: wood, fabric, composite
    Fuselage: tubing

Soviet X14 Ultralight-x14_ultralight_aircraft.jpg Soviet X14 Ultralight-x143dview.jpg

Source link: X-14 - Soviet Homebuilt Ultralight & Aircraft directory

Thoughts??

Re: Soviet X14 Ultralight

I have seen stories about this one a long time ago. I seem to remember the whole thing folded up into two suitcases.

The wings I remember seemed to look like a double or even triple slotted flaps and they would have to be, to work with such a minute wing area. 13 lb/sf wingloading?

And the pilot seems to block most of the air flowing into the propeller, yet I heard this thing actually flew, though I have sen no picture of it.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

We discussed this one here before: small portable plane?. I talk about when I saw it starting in post #12.
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

Ah thanks for the link Orion. That be sweet to have a plane that could fold into two suitcases...talk about a bond gadget. Not even "Little Nellie" could do that (Though I'd love to have a gyrocopter ) :P

Banned

Amazing gadget...Little Nellie would have been amazed if confronted this X14 equipped with AA missiles... Lucky the "Cold War" is over...but cool Bond movies remain ( Octopyssy is my favourite ).

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vula/message/11042

It says it has 24 hp engine today and 1,8 m2 of wing area !
    Last edited by topspeed100; December 13th, 2010 at 02:21 AM.

That's a neat little machine, though I'd probably prefer the clean wing + engine (weight-shift steering)

Um, I'm not real sure but does that guy in the first picture look like he's holding up
    100 lbs ??? !!!! ( the empty weight of the 'aircraft' ) Look at the posture.

Not to me.

And, according to the specs on the link, a 42 HP engine about the size of a basketball ?? !!

I swear, if this was a bit older, and, since it IS coming out of the Soviet Union, I'd call it another piece of one of their MANY mis-information campaigns !!!!!

In any case, if it exists or existed, it's never going to flown or even attempt to be flown using my alabaster body !!!!!! ( I don't bounce and heal as well as I used to !! )

As I understand it, it did break ground, but really couldn't get much out of ground-effect. If you search for "X14" or "X-14" here, you'll find a thread where Orion discusses some of the shortcomings. Apparently he was contacted by someone wanting to bring the design here to the USA.

>>> Edit. Sorry, Orion already referenced that thread above. Here's the permalink to his post: small portable plane? <<<
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

i believe rienk ayers has the plane. i'd love to see it, myself. hoping to win the lottery.

What ~13 lb./SF loaded airfoil starts flying at ~26 mph?

As for the airflow to the prop being buggered by the pilot's draggy shape, maybe some sorta inflatable fairing could be made, which would serve simultaneously as an airbag to protect the pilot in crashes, a very handy feature for such a design.

One of the problems this plane had was its use of a fairly complicated system of flaps (double slotted), drooping ailerons and leading edge slats, much of which was partially deployed on takeoff. I think I recall someone saying that the 26 mph was optimistic but it did fly (although only a couple of times and hardly out of ground effect). No one knew however whether flights were that limited due to the pilot's caution (fear?) or they simply didn't want to get shot at by the Russian authorities (fear again?).
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

That X-14 looks like Mark Stull's ultralight ... in half scale.

Some of the above comments were pretty humorous. I've always been interested in a minimum-size, capable ultralight. Kind of like the Cri-Cri, I'd build one of those except it wouldn't fall into the UL catagory.

There may be other ways to skin the cat and still have a plane of that weight and basic dimensions, which would still dis-assemble and fit into the same size containers.

Maybe increase wing cord somewhat for lower wing loading/SF, with wing and tail feather panels that nestle together in the bag like Russian dolls? Telescoping centerline keel and basic planform like Strojnik S2? Inflatable cockpit pod? Centerline bicycle landing gear? Telescoping wing struts rather than drag wires? Shrouded prop?

Going a different route, what if Gtex09's lifting body ideas could be scaled down and combined with semi-rigid skin and inflation stiffening?

Another member on here has it and the rights. It's a back-burner project, while he works on a design he wants to sell commercially...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast