+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soviet X14 Ultralight

Re: Soviet X14 Ultralight

I think that development is still continuing on these planes. I found two stories that seem a bit more up to date.

Russia-InfoCentre :: Very Light Aircraft Almost Like a Feather :: Sounds Like A Breakthrough :: Education & Science

Google Translate

One thing that has always puzzled me has been the claims of high lift. It was my understanding that short chord, low RN airfoils could not produce the kind of lift that this plane would need. I would greatly welcome any insight along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by aerogant View Post
    One thing that has always puzzled me has been the claims of high lift. It was my understanding that short chord, low RN airfoils could not produce the kind of lift that this plane would need. I would greatly welcome any insight along those lines.
    Marketing, like those "STOL-aircraft", they claimed to stall at 20 mph (with a CLmax of 12 or so)
    Soviet X14 Ultralight-onzin.jpg
    2 for such a tiny wing is achievable. 3 is about the highest you will ever get, maybe a tad more in ground effect (where VSo isn't defined). 40 mph would be believable. 26 mph? Not for me.

I'd be interested, if I could get my hands on enough info.

Quote Originally Posted by aerogant View Post
    I think that development is still continuing on these planes. I found two stories that seem a bit more up to date.

Russia-InfoCentre :: Very Light Aircraft – Almost Like a Feather :: Sounds Like A Breakthrough :: Education & Science

Google Translate
    interesting. i've wondered what became of tovarich dmitriev. the naming convention is interesting, as there was an x12 before the x14, and now he's got an x12h. hmm.

He sold his x-14 to an American, along with the rights. The American is a member of this forum and is working on another project, before he can get to the x-14.

I have seen the X-14 many years ago at Oshkosh. I even have it on video. The one I saw had a slotted wing. I remember thinking the wing looked very complex for such a little plane. It was not flown there. I asked questions about it, but the man only spoke Russian. Never saw it again. It was very cool looking though. I wonder what happened to it.
    Last edited by houston; April 3rd, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

the x14 apparently lives in a hangar in california.
    even though i'm on dialup and really can't do videos (it takes me about 3&1/2 mins to dl a meg), i think that a video of the x14 might be of interest to many of us. maybe you can upload it somewhere and share?
    Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I have seen the X-14 many years ago at Oshkosh. I even have it on video. The one I saw had a triple slotted wing I remember thinking the wing looked very complex for such a little plane. It was not flown there. I asked questions about it, but the man only spoke Russian. Never saw it again. It was very cool looking though. I wonder what happened to it.

I remember this plane at Oshkosh many years ago. I thought it looked so cool. I remember the complex flap system. I tried to ask questions, but the guy only spoke Russian. I do still have an old VHS tape from the show with some footage. It never flew at the show, and I never saw it again. If it ever becomes available Id love to see an updated version. Maybe folding wings. This thing could go in any garage, and looks very cool. So who is the member who has it ? I would like to ask some questions about it.
    Max

I don't know how to put vhs on the computer, but Ill see if anyone I know can do it for me. Ill have to dig out the old tape.
    Last edited by houston; April 3rd, 2011 at 12:18 PM.

Easiest way I know to put VHS on computer is to find a local shop that specializes in digitizing home movies. They run the VHS and copy it over to a DVD or a file. Then you have a electronic version to do as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by lurker View Post
    interesting. i've wondered what became of tovarich dmitriev. the naming convention is interesting, as there was an x12 before the x14, and now he's got an x12h. hmm.
    История изобретения микросамолёта Х-14 Виктора Дмитриева

X-9f, X-12, X-14 -

http://www.reaa.ru/yabbfiles/Attachments/Dmitriev1.jpg

=some history,data,Maestro!

Quote Originally Posted by henryk View Post
    =some history,data,Maestro!
    thanks very much. now, i have to persuade google to translate it.

[QUOTE=autoreply;90126]Marketing, like those "STOL-aircraft", they claimed to stall at 20 mph (with a CLmax of 12 or so)

=Dmitrievs X14 have had good thrust/weight number end started with greate acceleration\nonstationary flow\.
    in that case the Cl may by much greater when in stationary\constant velocity\ flow...

Yes nice plane i did fly but briefly, didn't fly very well from what i remember the original pilot was 145 lbs tho i,m designing one similar all aluminum and carbon fiber uses a 60 hp para-motor Wankel that is quite light, i will be manufacturing kits when i,m done testing. kits are 2900 for everything but engine or ready to go i am estimating 7900 usd. i did get a copy of prints for this plane but once scaled from drawings the math just don't work. so i did my own design and the math works out. was debating on just selling prints for enthusiasts to make there own but, all of your constructive inputs would be awesome. i,m still looking for a better engine that's more reliable. if any one knows of a better engine.

cheers, Richard Laurin

egineer101@hotmail.com

i was thinking 20 is possible if you had a head wind of 60 lolz i agree with you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast