+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Michealvalentinsmith

Thread: Hang glider trike plans

Hang glider trike plans

I've been asked on numerous occasion to post the plans I have for a hang glider trike.

These plans are old and somewhat outdated and I make no guarantees for the airworthiness of the design - or accept any responsibility.

I did make this trike with a friend and it flew OK but we made some modifications.

If I recall there's no information on the engine mount or hang point keel cube.

I have plans for the keel cube we used somewhere and can post these as well if there's enough interest.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    cesar_6911 likes this.

Re: Hang glider trike plans

Anything free is for me thankyou and sure the plans for the keel cube would be great thanks again

Hmmm can't seem to find the keel cube plans. Here's a single drawing of the modified version we went for and a photo of the keel cube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hang glider trike plans-eagleplans.jpg   Hang glider trike plans-hangblock.jpg  

Okay here's a ? I can't seem to find an answer to in my constant study of ultralights and what to build do you or any one for that matter know where to get/buy/beg/borrow plans for the wing I don't want to buy a wing for a trike I would like to build it per say thanks or if any one has said set of plans for a trike wing please contact me thanks again

Problem with building a trike wing is... are your sewing skills up to it? Do you have access to a heavy duty industrial sewing machine? If no to either question, forget making a trike wing. It's not just a big flat piece of fabric; the shape is critical.

-Dana

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.-- Albert Einstein

Micheal,
    Thank you for sharing the plans, it's good to know that these plans resulted in a flyable design. Could you please share some additional photos/drawings of the actual build. The plans themselves do not seem to include a nose-wheel assembly.

Regards,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Problem with building a trike wing is... are your sewing skills up to it? Do you have access to a heavy duty industrial sewing machine? If no to either question, forget making a trike wing. It's not just a big flat piece of fabric; the shape is critical.

-Dana

Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler.-- Albert Einstein
    Dana- I have both the skill set needed and also the sewing machines readilly available so that should not be a problem the issue at hand is even finding a set of plans to construct from but I really appriciate your input thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLane View Post
    Dana- I have both the skill set needed and also the sewing machines readilly available so that should not be a problem the issue at hand is even finding a set of plans to construct from but I really appriciate your input thanks
    That helps... but because so few people do have the skills and equipment, I doubt anybody will have wing fabric patterns available. A used tandem hang glider coupled with a homemade frame is probably your best bet.

-Dana

Thinking for yourself is like most addictive behaviour. It is frowned upon by all right thinking people and is bound to get you killed sooner or later.

In regards to frame are you speaking of the point at witch you attach said wing. Or are you stating that I would need to take the wing, and then build a frame around the existing wing? For the load support of the wing that kinda sounds like a little aeronautical enginerring that I am not I can do some backyard enginerring but not with an aircraft for human use

By "frame" I mean the trike frame, wheels, seat, engine mount, etc., and universal joint. To this you attach the existing hang glider, though you'd probably want to strengthen (sleeve) the keel tube.

There is some good information here.

-Dana

How is it that 2 teenagers in the back of an original Volkswagen Beetle, in a crowded drive-in theater, can reproduce, yet it takes 2 spotted owls 10,000 acres?

I really only helped in the construction of this trike. The friend who built it did all the hard stuff. He had to have a few of the parts fabricated as well which cost.

Building a trike is easy enough and not especially critical if you have plans. You do need to hang the trike from a tree or some such to check the balance and thrust line but there are web sites like John Reynoldsons that help here. But if you stick with the dimensions from the plans it should be OK.

You can buy such nano trikes cheaply enough and I think we saved maybe $2,000. My friend had a paraglider motor and prop and wanted a trike so the decision was obvious.

He used a WW tandem Falcon which was rated for an all up weight that was less than our total of pilot plus trike, but most guys beef up the trike with additional side wires and tube sleeving - and there are a whole lot of issues there that need to be addressed. But the resulting climb rate with the solo 210 motor was far from dazzling - maybe 300fpm at a guess. If I was making one I'd go for a 25hp zenoah and a 6 blade prop.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures and don't live on Maui any longer where we made the trike.

I would not recommend any attempt to make your own HG regardless of expertise. Perhaps if you could get a pattern it may be possible but designing in the twist, getting the tension right such that the washout is adequate but allows billow shift take a lot of experience and expertise.

If you are going to sew you own sail I'd recommend designs were the twist is not integral - even a rigid wing HG like the Atos would be easier to make a sail for than a flex wing HG. Why bother when second hand HGs are dirt cheap? Probably cheaper that buying the fabric and tube - if you could get it.

I've attached a pic of a simple nano trike that I think was about $5,000 last I checked. We got the tubing free from and old HG, with second hand paramotor and prop and it still came in at about $3000.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hang glider trike plans-tdelta.jpg  

jinggay2003

can i also have the plan for keel cube please

ARP

Jinggay,

Unfortunately Brett ( Michealvalentinsmith ) is no longer with us so your request for the plan of the keel cube will go unanswered. However all that is required is to construct the assembly to permit the wing to pivot in both pitch and roll. A universal joint system is what you are trying to build. The photo shows the roll axis uses a nylon bush that would rotate around the keel tube of the wing. Pitch is provided by flat plates with a bolt through from which the main upright tube of the trike is suspended. The lower bracket is for the front strut going down to a bracket on the trike keel/snoot by the front wheel.

Tony

I am just trying to find a nice 2 seats trike plans. Does anybody of you have any of these to share with me? Thanks!

Perhaps you can investigate the "Huntwing" trike plans from England.
    Untitled Document

+ Reply to Thread