• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

hang glider

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ineed2fly

Hello my name is Nick Burden and I am 16 years old. I know you are already starting to panic right? Well please don't!!! As you might have guessed by my username I need to fly!!!! I have always wanted to since I can remember. I originally wanted to hang glide as free flight was the closest you can get to true flight in my opinion. I then discovored paragliders and still would rather do that, but sewing a paraglider seems a bit out of the question. So I started to look at making a hang glider, and yes I went the PVC duct tape and tarp route as I was 13 years old. I made a square 50foot^2 rectangle and I was "going to fly like a bird with a back mounted wing" OMG!!! what was I thinking!!!? K so duh that didnt work just flopped and knocked the wind out of myself. Attempt #2 was much more logical with still PVC duct tape and a tarp but at least I went triangle!!!!! It had all the components of a HG but crappy, I had lines tie in point everything!!! So I went to a steep hill ran felt some tug jumped lifted off my weight was too far back I stalled and the whole thing exploded (curse PVC!!!!) so here I am 2 years after that realizing that the job I got a the supermarket for $6.91 an hour wasn't going to get my closer to PG any time in the near future. I currently power kite and have spent almost $1500 on crap for that (If only I had known!!!!! I could have my P2 right now!!!!) So I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I can build stuff:
Chopper (motor bike not heli)
Kite buggy
ATB
Sailboat
NPW9b
and countless others

So I am familiar with steel and have a welder to accomplish any welds neccesary, although the frame I am looking at (oh yeah btw I want to built a HG) will be mostly aluminum. I am familiar with working with ripstop nylon (NPW9b, its a kite incase you didn't know) and I can generally figure things out on my own. With some help along the way some determination and a bit of luck I know I can pull it off. If you have made it this far you are probably going to tell me off like I usually get. So here is a little something to calm your nerves:

I AM NOT going to go to HG lauches leap off and hope for the best, I am going to screw around at the local hill, and even if I became adventurous I would limit myself to sled runs NO THERMALS!!!! AHHH!!!!! I may be crazy but not suicidal.

I am looking at making a rogallo wing as it is cheap simple easy slow and stable and I am GOING TO DO THIS whether or not I get feedback so I will probably be alot better off if some people help me out.

This is the basics of what I am looking at making:

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&sa=G ANY help is appreciated! Thanks, Nick Burden

Back