+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beaujon planes

Beaujon planes

Has anyone here built a ultralight from the plans by Beaujon? I'm thinking seriously about the Minimac design to do a quick-build-time project just to get in the air. My thoughs are that if all goes well with that simple design I'd plan to move on to something a bit more involved as a long term ultralight project, but at least I would have something to fly in the meantime.

Re: Beaujon planes

I have seen some of the plans, Lake. They do indeed seem simple in concept. Mr. Beaujon has a book for sale that is a classic amoung ultralighters; see VULA.org for more information.
    Being in Missouri, you may be close to Rolla. There is a aluminum tub and cloth designer and builder of WWI replicas there.
    Percy in NM, USA

Thanks for the reply. Good to hear that someone else thinks well of the information in the book. I have the book and plans from Mr. Beaujon and learned quite a bit. Lots of information and calculations to cross check ideas, since I'm not likely to build an ultralight exactly to a set of plans. I guess you have to pick someone to believe and Mr. Beaujon at least lived through what he talks about! He seemed interesting when I talked with him on the phone before ordering the information.

Hi Lake, Did you ever get your Minimac started? Before I ever built a plane I would want to see a picture of one flying. The Minimac plans have been around for a long while but I just can't get to see a picture of one. Can you point me in the right direction? Guess the builders are having so much fun flying they just don't have the time to snap them.

I've started, if you want to call it that, by cutting and prepping some of the variouus brackets. You're right that it's hard to find any examples of flying Beaujon designs. Throught the VULA site and it's webmaster I've seen pictures of a few that have been built but not specifically a Minimac. I have seen pictures of a what appears to be a Minimac clone built by a company in MI, if I recall correctly. How close to plans it was built, I don't know. In a thread called Aluminum Tube Spars on this forum there has been quite an informative discussion of the spar design and material selection. There's a Yahoo Group called TBUC that is a group for those interested in Beaujon's design. We'd welcome you into the discussion. One of the members there had done some testing and plans to do more on the question of the spars. Calculations vs. actual testing.....makes one uncertain about what to trust, and then just what G load is reasonable for such a minimal plane to be built to withstand. I'm planning to move ahead, with caution. If my posts to various groups come to a sudden halt I guess it'll be apparent how it went.

Many thanks for the post. I totally agree with your points; move with caution. It could be an interesting ride! I'm sure everyone would be eager to see your progress from time to time. If I can find out a little more I might even take the plunge myself. Good Luck.

Thanks. Don't quit visiting this very helpful and experience rich forum, but I'll also invite you to join and look forward to you participating in the Yahoo Group about Beaujon planes. It's the TBUC (The Beaujon Ultralight Club). It's been growing quickly and I think there are several potential builders. We'll see.

Lynn

I have built and flown a mach 07, and am building another, the first plane was done 20, yes 20 years ago with a 250 zenoah, what a sweet little bird, I made a few mods to include a steel control bar and the angle became more upright so as to better support the strut loads on it, I also overlapped the tail brace into the lower struts from the gear back by 6 inches to bridge that fuselage to instead of the other way around. I have pics and they do fly!!! birdman3780@comcast.net, wayne smith

Interesting to finally find a past builder of a Beaujon ultralight! As I mentioned in previous posts I'm currently working on a Minimac. Looking back at the dates of of those posts, I've been at it longer than I hoped it would take, but it is slowly progressing. I've sent an e-mail and would appreciate your follow up. It's good to hear that your first experience with the .07 was good enough for you to want to build another.

Lynn
    Last edited by lake_harley; November 4th, 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Hi,
    Yes it always seems to take longer than you think it will take. I thought I would be flying airshows in my Pitts by now!
    I still haven't solved the high oil temp issue but it is a little better each mod I do.
    And still can't land the thing with out needing a change of underwear.
    And furthermore I still don't have anywhere close to my required 25 flying hours in my test/practice area.
    Best wishes,
    Wally

Wayne,

I saw the pictures that you evidently sent to Brad, and he posted, at the TBUC Yahoo Group. The pictures clarified what you described. Thanks for the encouraging information.

Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by birdman3780 View Post
    I have built and flown a mach 07, and am building another, the first plane was done 20, yes 20 years ago with a 250 zenoah, what a sweet little bird, I made a few mods to include a steel control bar and the angle became more upright so as to better support the strut loads on it, I also overlapped the tail brace into the lower struts from the gear back by 6 inches to bridge that fuselage to instead of the other way around. I have pics and they do fly!!! birdman3780@comcast.net, wayne smith

New Guy on the Block- Me!
    Bought Beaujon Plans 5/6 years ago and got stack of "Multi" copied doublesided pages that are hard to read Blurred, etc.

Can anyone describe what these plans and manual look like, I think I paid $10/15 for my set.

Thanks John

Do you know of anything in Fayette Cty?

John

Just got out my copy of "How To Build Ultralights," by Mr. Beaujon. Interesting reading in that it covers design principles with examples. My copy's pretty clean.
    And no, I don't know any one, or any thing about, Fayette City. Probably because it isn't in New Mexico. Where you at, Outlaw?
    Percy in NM, USA
    Last edited by pwood66889; December 15th, 2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Adsded text.

Hi, Percy
    You inside or outside Area 51? I'm in Moscow! Tennessee 40 Miles east of Memphis. As I said I'm New to chat groups and thought I was sending a msg to someone in the Memphis area. Thanks for the reply! John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast