• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rotax 277 still usable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rrtaya_Tsamsiyu

I've been working on a FP-202 for some time now, but now that I've towards where I need an engine I'm starting to wonder what I should do.
I planed on using a 277, but from what I've seen nobody can seem to find a working Rotax or parts for one most of the time, and finding a gearbox is worse.

There's a 202 for sale that has a Rotax 277 that I'm thinking of buying, but I'm wondering if something breaks on the engine if I'll ever be able to find parts or another 277.
My other option is to get a Polini, at about the same cost as the 202 I found. If I got that I would
be able get spare parts if needed, and wouldn't have to worry about it becoming a paperweight.

What is your opinion? Is the Rotax too risky due to no parts left out there?

Back