• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Value of elevator trim in ultralights, plus adding to an existing kit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Them

I am just wrapping my mind around this subject....

I've never flown a plane that didn't have elevator trim, and - going back all the way to my first discovery flight - I've never flown without actively using elevator trim. From adjusting for a hands-off cruise to making a stabilized landing approach it is just darned useful.

I've also never flown a plane with an official top speed of 55kts ... that's 10Kts less than approach speed for most of the planes I've flown.

If I was going to add elevator trim...my first instinct is to have a trim tab on the elevator, but that would involve putting a servo on the elevator or running a cable, either of which seem to shift weight back causing potential W&B issues.

My next thought is that there is a reversing bellcrank that could have centering springs added. If one of the springs attached to the airframe, while the other was on a lever of some sort, pulling the movable spring tighter should shift the center position of the elevator one way while relaxing it should move it the other.

So...what's the group opinion? How many ounces is elevator trim worth? What style of trim would you use? Is adjustable trim even relevant on a 55KCAS plane?

Thanks!

Back