• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Minnesota Newbie with a Cobra

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bprigge

Hello from North Branch Minnesota!

I'm new here, this is my first post although I have been reading these forums for a couple of months.

I bought an Advanced Aviation Cobra B ultralight a couple of months ago and now have it reassembled and in a hangar after transporting it to Minnesota from Clayburne Texas. The plane has a Kawasaki 440 fan cooled engine with a 4 belt reduction drive.

I have a private license with a 12 year expired medical and only about 70 hours of air time in a Cherokee. I don't intend to get back into GA but I'm just really enthused about ultalights.

Anyway, after 6 outings of ground training I suspect my Cobra may have a CG issue. I weigh 210 ready to fly and as I understand it aircraft are balanced for a 170 pound standard pilot. I suspect I'm nose heavy because I'm trying to master a drill where I hold the stick all the way back and raise the nose wheel off the ground at 10% below stall speed. This can be done but after three outings attempting this drill I can't seem to hold the nose wheel off for more then a second or two. I have no information on this plane regarding weight and balance. The plane has been out of production for many years and tech info is scarce or non existent. Soo if anyone could direct me to a source of info regarding how to find the CG and work it into a weight and balance calculation I would be very appreciative. I would even be game to go rent some load cells if necessary but I don't really know how to approach this. Any advice appreciated, thanks, Bruce

Back