+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.

Banned

Re: Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.

Gekko passenger plane has only 55% frontal area per person compared to slick Duckhawk.

Banned

I think I still have altitude capable kite albeit less frontal and weight than Duckhawk...some simplicity lost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-duckhawk_6z.jpg  

Banned

Wink Re: Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.

Small trailer here !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-hippi_trailer_2.jpg  

Banned

Anyone know good solar panel dealers for solar powered flying aeroplanes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-superlites2.jpg  

Banned

Wink Re: Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.

I may try to prove that solar power is actually the lightest to carry with !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-3-planes.jpg   Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-hippi_trailer3zsec65.jpg  

Observation tidbit: your very good drawing skills (emphasized by ultralajt also) do not always come in terms with practicality, topspeed100
    More precisely: the single engine-pod solution with front propeller seems (to me at least) not at all suitable for an open cockpit - believe me, because I’ve already experienced it in my first ULM-practice hours (drawbacks: wind turbulence, noise, poor visibility).

Friendly advice: maybe you could use the suggestion of two pusher-propellers (E-propulsion allows simple cooling-solutions), moving the wing spar rearwards-up, behind the pilot’s neck.

(nasty) P.S. I strongly doubt that a Porsche owner would fly your Hippy…

Banned

I have yet to find the first interested customer...whether he/she cycled a tricycle or drove a Lamborghini.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-hippi_boxer55_tips.jpg  

I know… you knew I was just joking, topspeed - no need to emphasize the actual paradox of using the expensive (auto)E-power mostly by some wealthy “eco-fans” - a trend that could presumably be soon followed in aviation too.

Back ontopic now: my bi-pusher suggestion (the wing spar rearwards-up, behind the pilot’s neck) was serious for your configuration, not only because I’m considering it viable also for my future plans - although I still believe that the use of E-propulsion exclusively must wait a few years more until it reaches real-life autonomy targets.
    That’s why I’m actually focusing on some hybrid solutions (with E-power support only for the take-off or emergency phases.)
    markus likes this.

Banned

Red face Re: Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.

I have had several pusher versions too XANADRONE !

Tricycle version with wheel pants would be cool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-hippi_boxer55_tips2_export65.jpg  

Banned

Compared to Duckhawk/Etlantic HIPPI has only 2% less frontal area but 3.4 times less wing loading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-efficient_liteplanes3.jpg  

Banned

Small update !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-solar_hippi1z.jpg  

Banned

Here with SAAB Safir to give scale !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smallest possible hyperlite electric aeroplane for max 250 lbs pilots.-solar_hippi1z_safir3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed100 View Post
    Solar Hippi with new reduction geared 900 mm dia prop. Output 4.3Kw (5.8hp) on solar power alone. Additional 4 kilo LiPo accu set will help the plane climb to 4000 feet (FL40) in 10-15 minutes. Top speed at FL330 85kts... And 170kts (TAS) in a jet stream!
    Four thousand feet in fifteen minutes isn't impressive at all. Functional, yes, and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me to fly it but such a slow climb implies to me that without some sort of assistance it can't go above ten thousand feet or so. Doesn't really matter though because to go any higher than that you'd need an oxygen bottle weighing down the plane and further slowing the climb. Up at FL330 you'd need to essentially be in a space suit, which the Hippi shows no capacity for, both in weight carrying ability and internal volume.

Speaking of FL330, your math is off with regards to the speed. Is 85 your calibrated airspeed or true airspeed? Also, jet streams have no effect on true airspeed, only ground speed.

-Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Tim View Post
    Four thousand feet in fifteen minutes isn't impressive at all. Functional, yes, and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me to fly it but such a slow climb implies to me that without some sort of assistance it can't go above ten thousand feet or so. Doesn't really matter though because to go any higher than that you'd need an oxygen bottle weighing down the plane and further slowing the climb. Up at FL330 you'd need to essentially be in a space suit, which the Hippi shows no capacity for, both in weight carrying ability and internal volume.

Speaking of FL330, your math is off with regards to the speed. Is 85 your calibrated airspeed or true airspeed? Also, jet streams have no effect on true airspeed, only ground speed.

-Tim
    I don't even know where to start with this....

First, ceiling of GA aircraft almost never has to do with the wo gs or prop... A turbocharged Cessna can go twice as high as the NA version. The initial climb has nothing to do with it.

Second... A functional aircraft using 4kw. How is that not impressive? I don't think you get the point or goal of solar... A functional aircraft. In this case, functional is exceptional.

Lastly... Either IAS or TAS would both be stellar. Solar is such little energy... Anything is acceptable, while this would be exceptional.

And outside of the topic... It's a bit odd to be cutting people down in an experimental forum. This place should be proactive... The level of negativity is a bit much.
    topspeed100 likes this.
    Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.
    And no, we don't know where it will lead. We just know there's something much bigger than any of us here.

Banned

Tiger Tim ! You are correct the 4000 ft climb will happen with the accus alone...ie 2.8 kw for 10 minutes..naturally the 4 kw from solar panels will increase the climb rate radically. There is a change that the take off takes place in heavy overcast or early in the morning before sunrise when sun does not help ! This was counted at another site as well....or place like Finland where sun does not shine in the winter much.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast