• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

New guy with some questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce

Id like to say hello, and how great of a forum this is, ive been reading seems like none stop for several days now. I don't have a kit or plans, just some ideas of what id like to learn an aircraft gets built our not.
Id like to make an aircraft 103 legal with a closed canopy (theiss speedster style) i noticed that entire plane was made of white bead board styrofoam, other then some wood structure... I have read all the posts i could find about solid core wings and the type of foam to use.. I still am unsure if the white bead board could be an option. I understand it will require the use of epoxy and not vinylester... I am asking because i have almost unlimited supply of large foam sheets..they have a taper, 3" down to 2"... 7 1/2 feet long and 4 feet wide. I was thinking of a bi wing construction, because shorter wing lengths could be used... I did some backwoods testing (me and my buddy jumping on the foam supported only on the very edges) found that a span of this foam 7' by 2' could support us (330 pounds) that is the bare foam.i might have figured this wrong, but that would be about 23.5 lbs per sq. Foot.... I don't know the first thing about aircraft design, just what i think makes sense... If anyone could once again shed some light on this subject that would be of great help... Oh and when i said almost unlimited supply..... I get more sheets then i can store (some has become insulation)

Back