• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Legal Eagle XL vs Fisher 202 / Skeeter and other questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
I am researching a plans built ultralight. I like the tail dragger design.

The Legal Eagle XL looks good. I like the following:
  • It appears straightforward to build. I am a builder (residential construction, gunsmith, furniture..). Solid woodworking skills. Machining skills. I own a tig welder, and am developing my welding skills.
  • I can build everything, even the engine. I like to build, and this potentially saves money.
  • Engine is a four stroke (longer life, less finicky, better fuel economy). Looks like you can modify the 1/2 vw to get 40 horse, or even a tad more.
  • Looks very affordable.
  • Lots of these up and flying. Tons of support, build blogs, etc. Plans for plane, engine, and multiple videos...
  • The XL has a 275 lb load capacity.
  • Fairly open design. Good views, open air...
  • Perhaps some flexibility with options, such as tire choices, brakes, controlls...
The Fisher 202 and Skeeter look like good options too:
  • I'm not certain the 202 can really be built within 103 without skimping on engine size and thus performance?
  • The Skeeter looks nice, maybe a little cramped? I'm not certain exactly what the differences between the 202 and Skeeter are.
  • The all wood construction would keep me well within my current skill set. I am enjoying learning to weld, but would definitely require guidance and inspection to weld the Legal Eagle fuselage. Of course, I always enjoy learning, developing new skills.
  • The geodetic (think I got the word correct) construction looks more time consuming than the welded fuselage of the Legal Eagle.
  • The plans are expensive, but full scale.
General questions and such:
  • 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. I'm familiar with both in an MX setting. I've read about reliability, time between overhauls, fuel consumption, etc... What I'm wondering is, how do the performance characteristics compare? On a dirt bike, the 2 strokes are more finicky, but much lighter, quicker, more agile, responsive machines. Is this true for an ultralight airplane? Say I built a Legal Eagle, how would it handle with the 1/2 VW vs appropriate rotax (447, I think).
  • Back county use. I live in Utah, at 6,000'. I imagine grabbing a fishing pole, early morning, and flying into a high mountain lake for an hours fishing before the days work (there are several such lakes within a few miles of my house). Are ultralights rugged enough, with enough performance, for a little back country use?
  • I've ordered the informational video for the Legal Eagle. I've been on the EAA website and plan to join, looks like a wonderful resource! Any other good resources?
  • I haven't found a lot of info on the Fisher products. Can anyone give me info, experience, or direction to such?
  • Other planes I should consider?

Back