+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150 - 200 lb thrust jet engines?

150 - 200 lb thrust jet engines?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any good information on where I could get a pair of engines for a project of mine. By my estimates my rig can run on a pair of 125 lb thrust engines, but I would prefer to go a bit overboard in case My estimates are off. Can't go wrong with a little extra right? Make and model along with thrust output and fuel consumption /hour would be great to know thank you

Re: 150 - 200 lb thrust jet engines?

I'm the end these engines need to be able to dead lift around 300 lbs. Straight up from a stop. If they can do that then they'll be perfect fir what I need

Quote Originally Posted by Kroni495 View Post
    I'm the end these engines need to be able to dead lift around 300 lbs. Straight up from a stop.
    By that, you mean together (150 lbs each)?

Yes, 150 lbs each

Don't forget the weight of fuel... jet engines drink a lot of fuel!

Not my specialty, but the engines you want are gonna be expensive. I'm unaware of any engines in the 125-150# class, but the last time I saw TRS-18 engines (used in the BD-5J, 220# thrust) for sale used, they were in the $35-$45K range.

-Dana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Don't forget the weight of fuel... jet engines drink a lot of fuel!

Not my specialty, but the engines you want are gonna be expensive. I'm unaware of any engines in the 125-150# class, but the last time I saw TRS-18 engines (used in the BD-5J, 220# thrust) for sale used, they were in the $35-$45K range.

-Dana

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    And those smaller turbine engines, the ones I've seen any way, typically have SFC ratios in excess of 1.0.

I'm the end these engines need to be able to dead lift around 300 lbs. Straight up from a stop. If they can do that then they'll be perfect fir what I need
    I smell another jet-pack a'borning...
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    I smell another jet-pack a'borning...
    Oh no, I'm not looking into jetpacks... More.. Jet stilts? Per say. Turbines located beneath the seaweed feat pointed downward. Thrust controls attatched to feet and winglets on lower legs and arms for directional control

Wow I hate my iPod, remove the seaweed and change feat to feet..... >.>

Although, I can't decide if I should use the feet for fine directional control
    Instead of thrust control... Or if both are possible? My one largest concern
    With this design is that all of the weight is above It's center of force.. A pack has the advantage of stability but this setup would be more user friendly and in theory, would
    Have better flight times. And faster flights

And jetpacks are either too bulky or the thrust source is too close to the body and requires heavy heat shielding

To the best of my knowledge there are no engines of this size, although some model jet engines are just below that rating. But jets that small have sfc values that generally approach 2.0. The Microturbo TRS-18 engines are just above that range (smallest is about 260 pound rating) but they are expensive because they are certified and man-rated. The Microturbo engines have an sfc around 1.5 (sea level static).
    "To live is to learn; to learn is to live" (author unknown)

Although, I can't decide if I should use the feet for fine directional control
    Instead of thrust control... Or if both are possible? My one largest concern
    With this design is that all of the weight is above It's center of force.. A pack has the advantage of stability but this setup would be more user friendly and in theory, would
    Have better flight times. And faster flights
    Yeah, it's tough playing lawn darts when you're the dart. This sort of layout ends badly, even for Wily Coyote. I'm having a tough time imagining "fine directional control" from your feet with 150# of force pushing against unaided legs from outside the side of your shins and ankles... More likely you'll end up either doing the splits in a completely spectacular way, or earn fame and fortune as "The Human Pinwheel" before encountering the ground with your head or other fragile bits.

A couple of experiments for you to try:

1) Strap a couple of the smallest model rocket motors you can find to the legs of a GI Joe or other toy mannikin figure, stand him on his feet on the ground and push the 'launch' button. Watch what happens and then imagine you're him...

2) Strap 150# of weights to the outside of each ankle, and have some friends help you up to stand on your head. (Use some braces on your shoulders so that you're not putting all that weight on your neck, which is very dangerous.) Make sure your legs are free - not held by your friends. You're now holding 150# of "thrust" with each leg. Move them around a little, as you expect you would for flying. How much "fine directional control" do you have? How much control do you have at all?

Rocket Boots are a neat idea, but there's a reason you only see them in cartoons. If you're serious about flying, we can help you into ultralights for a fraction of both the price and danger to your continued existence.
    Last edited by Topaz; June 24th, 2011 at 01:05 AM.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

TFF

If you cant hold the legs/ ankles perfect, your legs are broken.

That's why you don't just have boots, but a full brace system that goes up your legs and covers your torso. Give the suit all of the pressure from the engines so that your legs have a lot less pressure on them, in the end most Of the force would be exerted on your pelvis. And the way I see it, a better explanation of the feel would be to strap a bunch of floaties to your feet and try to walk on water. Wouldn't have to be using all of the engines potential all of the time, and you wouldn't use it all at once because that's suicide. I know that Honda has come out with a new walking aid that removes most of your weight from your legs and transfers it to your pelvis, I figure use a similar idea in the suit to increase control

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast