+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: robertson b1-rd info???

robertson b1-rd thread and solo flight

hi guys i just bought my first u/l.

(look left) thats my baby. any ways i havent got the chance to fly her yet but she is ready. im not though, its been 18+ years sence ive soloed. i live in the middle of no where and finding an instructor has proven near imposible, i do however have a good freind that ownes a cessna 172 and were going up in that a few times to get me used to banking and climbing/decending............

yea i know what alot of you are thinking that it will no way no how compare to flying my u/l. but arent the physics the same. one is just heaver than the other thus affecting the way it flies? my b1-rd is set up just like a j-3 cub witch i have flown years ago.

also any advice and info on this plane would be great. seems as if there isnt much on the web.
    Last edited by corvettercr; August 27th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

Re: robertson b1-rd info???

Best advice, try to get some instruction in a similar craft. Whare are you? Are there any schools nearby?

Don't expect it to hold its speed on approach. Ultralights either need power in the approach or you need to have your nose way down to keep your speed up. Round out low and fly a flat attitude about 2-3 feet high and then ease the stick back as it starts to settle.

Depending on the engine you have, it may want to climb out very steeply. For the early flights, you can use partial power to create a climb angle you are more comfortabl with. Until the engine has proven itself, stay close to the runway when you are in the pattern... the glide angle of ultralights is generally pretty dismal due to lack of weight and penetration.

Do some research to learn which oils work best and how to premix the oil and gas and how to keep the unmixed and premixed gas identified properly.

Be careful about using your feet on the ground as brakes. Any forward motion will pull them under your seat (very painful and embarrassing... don't ask me how I know this, )

Crosswind landing ability is terrible. Ability to land across or diagonally to stay pointed into the wind is great.

Oh, and do a very thorough enspection of all of the hardware, tube connections, and fabric.

ALWAYS fasten your seatbelt. Believe it or not, I've seen people forget this! (scary)

Bruce

Are you in Erick, OK? You can learn to fly here: Soar Oklahoma - Soaring Sooners Glider Club in Hinton. Cost to learn to fly is the cheapest. Sailplanes have similar speeds and visual references compared to ultralights. You'll be taught to stay close to the airport at least until you find a boomer.

hey bobdaly, thanks for the info. yes im located in erick okla and i know where hinton it. not too far either. i have a fellow pilot that has the hangar next to me. he ownes a 172 and a rans s-4. we went up 2 eve's ago to get me used to climbing and banking again(its been 18 years sence ive soloed) and it all came back rather quickly. i know it no way no how compares to an u/l but the feeling to me does. the orig owner came to the strip yesterday and flew the b1-rd a few times to make sure that all was still ok. we had to break the u/l down for transport and we had to loosen a few of the wing cables so when we went back together with it we had to eyeball and readjust with changes the trim on the wing. thats the reason he came out. to make sure it still flies true and hands off at cruse speed with zero wind. well she did so with his help i took off twice and landed in a straight line. she does fly great! true hands off. but thats all im going to do as of now. just get used to the way she handles climbing and desinding. im not rushing in to anything here. im going to check out hinton school mon morn and gether some more info. it would be great so soar without the engine noise. thanks again for the info.

Sounds great! I'm in a similar situation, except I last soloed some thirty years ago. I checked out the local glider club when I saw what dual cost in power planes. I'd only suggest you don't fly too many different types while getting back into it. I bet the Robertson will soar easily in those OK thermals.

well i recieved word and he said i cant be of much help because of the differences in the 2 aircraft. but my neighbor will and has taking me up in his cessina 172. yes i know bigggggggg difference but the controls are the same. except i have a stick. wished i knew someone with a j-3. shoot. i wished i had a j-3.

bruce, thanks for the reply. yes watching the prev owner using his feet got me thinking about that very same think....OUCH!

as far as mixing the oil/fuel, im very profecient in this task as i have been flying large gasoline model aircraft for the last 20+ years. im very picky on what i use for oil and how it is mixxed. also how old it is.

please if you have any more advice please let me know. im a nooby here with the u/l's any and all info/advise is very much apreiciated.

Quote Originally Posted by corvettercr View Post
    wished i knew someone with a j-3. shoot. i wished i had a j-3.
    I know Dallas is 300 miles from you, but check out this thread for flight schools that train in cub-like aircraft.

Tail Dragger endorsement around N.TX

There may be something closer than Dallas too. Do a Google search for taildragger training.

Bruce

The physics are the same, but like Bruce said the lack of energy is the big difference. Many pilots trained in heavier aircraft, even with thousands of hours of recent flying time, damage their ultralight on the first landing when they try to flare it like a larger plane, even a relatively light one like a Cub. An ultralight needs to be flown right down to the ground. There's no flare really, you dive it at the runway (or use power) at well above stall speed. There's so much drag, and so little mass, that it won't pick up speed like a bigger plane. At 1-2 feet you simply level off, and hold it there until the speed bleeds off (which will happen very quickly) and it settles down onto the ground.

The other area of trouble is takeoff and climb. Most ultralights have a best climb speed that's not much more than stall speed, so you have to be very careful not to stall while climbing.

Lastly, be ready for big pitch changes with power. With the engine mounted well above the center of gravity, if you suddenly chop power (or the engine quits), the plane will want to pitch up. You have to be ready to push the nose down RIGHT NOW to maintain your airspeed and avoid a stall.

-Dana

When authorities warn you of the sinfulness of sex, there is an important lesson to be learned. Do not have sex with the authorities.

hey guys, i have another question regarding wheels.
    my plane has 20" bmx wheels on it, i just read in a thread about them not being very good for u/l's is there any alternative? remember that the axal is 9" to 10" above ground as is and my butt isnt that much higher?
    i have alot of dead time on my hands now as ive had an accedent at work and now have pins in my wrist so ill be searching for parts upgrades now.
    oh, btw she flies great what little i got to fly before. this happened.
    anyways any help or links would be very helpfull.

Sadly there is a reason for the skinny wheels, that being Drag , and weight. You "might " be able to get away with some 16 inch Trike Buggy ( kite buggy) wheels , the narrowest ones. I have no idea if your axles are compatible or not , Or that it could work at all. But a lot of PPG trikes use them and they seem to be robust . Good luck and Speedy recovery with the wrist .

well i just left them as they should be. i just bought new tubes and got some really cool looking flame tread tires thats rated at 65psi. robbed them off my son's bike lol
    "For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,For there you have been and there you will long to return" Leonardo da Vinci

well guys.........., it happened. i soloed the b1-rd last eve. all i can say is WOW !!!!!!!!!!

pretty uneventfull, nice and relaxing, took off and climed somewhere from 150-300 agl. made a few left hand banks keeping the turns shallow and just flew. i expermented using the rudder and ailerons. oddly i really couldnt tell much of a diff between the 2 surfaces in flight compared to a c172 or a heavy plane. rudder banked instead of yaw but i guess thats how it is intended to act. i know from my r/c aircraft some models act the same way. they both did basically the same thing. now when i got lower around 50 agl there was a 3-5 mph cross wind i could really feel the weather veining so i rolled into the wind and used oppisite rudder then it was what i expected. could not have been a better flight. im just glad everything went well. as for the b1.....it is everything i can ever hope for. guys i really hope im making sense here as im still in awe from last night. oh btw here is the link to you tube. maby you guys can give me pointers if you see anything i did wrong. sorry in advance for the vid and my hooping and hollaring. that first flight in something is just...........WOW !!!

my first solo flight in my restored b1-rd - YouTube
    "For once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,For there you have been and there you will long to return" Leonardo da Vinci

Well, I think I would be whooping and hollering, too. Congratulations!

Thank you, i was so hoarse last night it was just down right funny lol

im addicated for life now. nothing better than feeling the wind in your face looking down on the world.
    Last edited by corvettercr; August 27th, 2011 at 04:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast