• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Key West regulator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody have contact information for Key West Controls? They don't seem to have a website, and the phone number on the instruction sheet is invalid.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the KW regulator on my UltraStar.

The plane has a Westach tach/EGT combo; the tach runs directly off the lighting coil on the Cuyuna and always worked fine. I just added a Key West regulator so I can have 12VDC power for my strobe and radio. The tach and regulator are wired in parallel to the lighting coil (unlike the Rotax, the Cuyuna has a single lighting coil). No battery. However, with the regulator connected, the tach reads low.

When I first installed the regulator, the read low, no more than about 2500 rpm indicated at full throttle (6500 rpm). However, when I switched on the strobe, it read much higher, around 4000 rpm. Figuring I needed a load on the regulator, I added a 50 ohm resistor to the output to draw a constant 1/4 amp. Now it indicates about 5000 rpm when the engine is actually doing 6500, regardless of whether the strobe is on or off. Finally, I disconnected the regulator, and the tach again reads correctly. When I measure the input voltage to the regulator, it shows very low, around 2VAC (with the regulator disconnected it's as it should be, 10-40V depending on rpm). I suspect the meter or something else weird, though, as even when it's showin 2VAC on the input it's putting out 14VDC.

Westach has suggested several things which didn't help, and I can't seem to get a hold of Key West.

Has anybody else seen this problem?

-Dana

We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Back