• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Simplified electronic gauge format

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
As I have mentioned in other threads, I am messing around with and learning about the Arduino open-source electronics platform with an eye to creating open-source aircraft instruments that others could replicate. If that all works out, maybe I would have some nice faceplates and enclosures custom-made and offer kits, but that's a long way off right now.

I am not talking about complete glass panels here, just individual instruments though some might be dual-fucntion when that sense because of the senors involved and the type of info displayed (altimeter/vertical speed with one barometric sensor, slip/skid and G-meter with one three-axis accelerometer, etc.)

Personally, I find naked digital displays unsatisfying alone but like their precision when combined with something more analog for at-a-glance use. For example, a digital altimeter readout is just fine if combined with something more graphic for the vertical speed indication. Similarly, a digital compass heading is fine as long as there is some sort graphic compass as well.

In terms of technology, I think e-ink/e-paper solutions (think Amazon Kindle and similar) would be great with white on black to replicate the look and readability in all lighting conditions of steam gauges but with electronic flexibility, ideally a circlular display module that would fill the whole instrument face, but so far those solutions are too expensive or too complex to implement for me as a rank amateur. With sunlight readability as a key factor, that leaves easy-to-find, affordable, and readily-implemented character or dot-matrix LCD and OLED displays, segmented LED displays, and LED circles/bars/grids for the graphic component.

I am also trying to come up with a standard display format that could be used, unchanged, for almost any type of indication. So far, the best solution seems to be a circle of programmable LEDs (maybe 16 or so) with a digital display in the center, perhaps a simple white-on-black OLED matrix. The LEDs (easily programmed for brightness and color) would provide the analog indication while the OLED provides the digital readout and the interface for setting units, adjusting, etc.

So, my question to the group is, what would appeal to you in terms of the format (presentation and technology used) of an electronic instrument? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

Back