• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mechanical fuel guage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgrant2000

In the acquisition of a Tailwind project, I got a new Rochester "Liquid Level" gauge that is mechanical and is vertical in form and application. There is an anchored float that turns the spiral center rod/liquid level indicator as it goes up or down. This would work as a fuel gauge for a tank that could be seen from the cockpit or other non-aviation fuel tanks that are easily seen - but the gauge is small at a 2" diameter. The travel on the float is about 16" and the distance from the underside of the gauge flange to the bottom of the float is 17.25" - probably need a tank at least 17.5" deep (from the outside top surface) in order to make this work. It looks to be very high quality and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work forever if put into a suitable application.

It has no application in a Tailwind. Does anyone know if this kind of a gauge has any known aviation application? I'm guessing that, in the aviation realm, there are not many 17.5" deep fuel tanks that call for a mechanical gauge.

Thanks in advance.
Larry

Back