• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Affordable high-quality on-board camera systems.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoreply

Super Moderator
Staff member
Filming an aircraft was always a horrible experience. Remote controls; short storage and battery life, running cables through the aircraft (filming from a composite wing was challenging), but now there's finally the perfect solution.

I guess some of you have already heard of the Go-Pro HD and it's competitor the VHOLDR Contour HD. Both have excellent image quality and give a vivid memory of active sports (semi fish-eye lens). Both are also really small, about the size of two stacked smartphones:
ContourVsGoProInHandMed.jpg
On the left the Contour

Contour HD: Contour - GPS Video Camera and HD Helmet Camera
Go Pro HD: GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

For both sides; make sure you have it full screen and on 1080P/720P. Only that gives the full "experience"

But the real strength of both is that they're solitary. Push a button and they start filming. No external power, storage or whatever and both have plenty power for a couple of hours. It doesn't matter that you can't aim (semi-fisheye lens) or can't focus (automatic).

Since a year or so, you can have the Contour with a built-in GPS, great for flying, motorcyclying and so on, because it tracks your movement and can simulate where you're actually riding. Pretty cool for both, see the demos on their site.

But what really draw my attention is this:
Contour >> Mobile

Either with a built in GPS (new version), or a separate Blue-tooth-card that fits in it you can communicate with a cellphone. See the live stream, adjust everything you want in the camera. Since it works via Bluetooth, you could also connect it to an onboard laptob or the like. This makes for brilliant videos for an affordable price (starts at 250 US$ or so).

Why this post? I don't have any ties to either manufacturer, apart from being the filmed subject of their products a couple of times. I just wanted to share this with you, given the extremely high quality, the broad possibilities and the rather low prices.

If we want to promote aviation; this is the tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back