• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Airplane Performance Database

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jman

Site Developer
Well, I need some of the collective wisdom. The build on our CH-801 is going well, although it’s on hold at the moment due to my deployment. However, our kids aren't getting any younger and Belle and I have decided to buy an airplane to fly as we build. The occasional rental flight along the coast is great, but not our real goal in aviation. We’d like to do some fly-in camping….

What I’m looking for is a service, book, or website that lists the vital statistics for certified airplanes from the 30's to the present? I looked at Janes but, from what I read, it lists only aircraft still in production. I'd like to be able to narrow down our choices to 4-5 airplanes before we go looking.

Here is an idea of what we are looking for in an airplane:

* Classic aircraft has priority. I realize this may mean getting my tail dragger ticket and higher insurance. That's ok.
* 700-750lbs pax and baggage + 2hours worth of fuel and reserves.
* 4 seats (required)
* Adequate baggage space. Extremely Light weight camping gear is a given!
* Able to handle grass or dirt strips.
* I'd like to keep it under 35K if possible.

I read Orion’s great post about choosing an airplane and don't want to set my expectations too high. However, we would really like something that we can take to fly-ins and occasionally take us on 1-2 day camping trips.

I like the Stinson 108s, Piper Tri-Pacers, and C-170s. Well, I like a lot of other airplanes too but budget is a concern! Any other suggestions? Can you point me to a good airplane database to help narrow our search? Thanks!

Back