+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Cheaper Aircraft

Cheaper Aircraft

I was wondering if people could add to my list of what I've found that look like some of the cheaper homebuilt options (excluding ultralights) that fit into the LSA category. I'm looking mainly for planes that can be built for under $20,000. Under $15,000 would be ideal. What am I missing on my list?

Single Seat:

BK-1 ------------------- Bruce King BK1.0 Home Page
    Hummel Bird --------- Hummel Aviation - Bryan, Ohio
    Volksplane ----------- Evans Aircraft: VP1 Volksplane plans - VW powered aircraft you build!
    PIK-26 ---------------- Wolfgang Masurat D-EPIC PIK-26 Mini Sytky Homebuilt Aircraft
    Corby Starlet -------- Welcome to the Corby Starlet Website
    FlyBaby --------------- The Fly Baby Home Page
    Thatcher CX-4 ------- Welcome to the home of the Thatcher CX4
    Taylor Monoplane -- The unofficial Taylor Monoplane Homepage
    Osprey X-28 --------- Osprey Aircraft/ GP-4
    MiniMax --------------- JDT Mini-MAX -- Ultralight and Light Sport/Experimental Airplane Kits, Build and Fly Your Own Aircraft from Affordable Kits and Accessories
    Fisher ----------------- Fisher Flying Products - Producing Classic Aircraft Kits
    Micro Mong ----------- http://www.greenskyadventures.com/micro_mong_home.htm
    Baby Lakes ---------- Baby Great Lakes Pilot Report and Photography
    Pober Pixie ----------- Pober Pixie by Acro Sport Inc.
    Teenie Two ---------- MiniCoupe & Teenie Pics
    Minicoupe ------------ MiniCoupe & Teenie Pics
    AcroSport------------- Acrosport from Aircraft Spruce
    Acrolite --------------- Home Page
    Baby Ace ------------- Ace Aircraft, Inc.: Corben Baby Ace & Corben Junior Ace
    Titan Tornado ------- Titan Aircraft.com: Welcome to Titan Aircraft

Obviously the Volksplane is one of the cheapest, but if we take a step up from that where does it put us?

I know that "cheap" and "flying" don't belong together. I also realize that this question has been asked many times before. It seems like the answer usually lead to the volksplane. Does anyone have opinions on any of these aircraft?

Re: Cheaper Aircraft

Are you only looking at single place aircraft?

A double eagle would be a relatively inexpensive two place.

The Double Eagle

When you say a step "up" from the Volksplane, what exactly do you mean? Aesthetics? Top speed? Climb? Useful load? Aesthetics and top speed can be addressed. If you look around, you'll see some pretty nice looking Volksplanes that are probably quite a bit faster than the average one. (I'm not so sure about Vne, tho. Clip wings?) You can also find plans for the two place, and if you use it as a single place, the useful load will be increased.

I have no particular opinion about them, but I would guess the Ragwing designs are inexpensive.

The Sky Scout is like the Piet but a single place aircraft.

Don't forget the Volmer amphib. I know of one for sale that could be finished in a years time. The wood is nice and comes with a O-235 that needs to be built. 6K for everything. I have pics and no interest in the sale just passing it on.
    We the unwilling led by the unqualified have been doing the impossible now for so long with so little we now feel it's possible to do anything with nothing.

http://www.azairframe.com/index.html

Maybe you could dirty up a KR1!

MC30 Luciole:
    Aircraft Tech Details
    Note that it uses a fancied up Briggs 4 stroke industrial engine.

The Volmer VJ-22 could fit LSA requirements if you went with it's original configuration with the 90hp and minimum equipment and built light. Volmer flew his for my years and he loved it.

skeeter

A Pitts S1c flat bottom wing and 2 alerons with an O-200 or C-85 wood prop and no electrical. Would be cheaper and better than an Acrolite with a crappy Rotex.

I was just looking at some of the lower end (cost wise) aircraft and forgot about some of the 2 places you mentioned.

A VJ-22 has a gross weight of 1500 pounds. Thats almost 80 pounds over the LSA requirements. If you can actually get it to come out at 1000 pounds empty that would leave 420 pounds for people and fuel. With full tanks (20 gallons), that would give 300 pounds for people/baggage (a bit on the light side, though it isn't out of line with other LSAs. A C-85 engine would probably burn around 6 gal/hr? That gives an endurance of 3.3 hours. Stall Speed is fine for an LSA. That actually sounds like a cool idea. I need to look into it a bit more. I've always been a fan of the VJ-22. Unfortunately, I can't afford that at the moment. I'm looking at slowly starting to build, hopefully, late next year. Do any of you have a guess for how cheaply a VJ-22 could be put together from plans with basic VFR instruments and a used C-85? Does anyone have any idea what VJ-22s typically come in at for weight?

The Piet is another good idea that I hadn't thought of. I saw somewhere that they could be built pretty cheaply ($12,000 if you're resourceful)

One of the main reasons I was thinking single-place is that they generally have smaller engines that burn less fuel. I am hesitant about a single-place, though, since I can't take up a passenger.

Many of these are wooden aircraft, how do wooden structures hold up if they aren't hangared?

Don't forget the new Ayerscraft Solo. With the 38HP V-twin it should come in for under $20k in kit form.

Welcome to Ayerscraft

Also, don't forget the new Onex made by the Sonex guys.....

Sonex Aircraft Hornets' Nest Research and Development

I have heard build prices ranging anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 depending on how well equipped and if you want something show quality or not.

Volmers original VJ-22 came in at 900lbs. Most built today come in around 1000lbs, mainly due to people adding this or that, bigger engine, more instrutments, more fuel, unnecessarily beefing up the structure. If the intent was to build the lightest VJ-22 possible i believe it could be done. Just don't add anything and think light everywhere. The builder also can decide what the gross weight it will be set at. Even at 1420lbs. Everything is a compromise in airplanes.

Empty weight 900
    Fuel full 150
    2 people 360
    Baggage 10 yeah i know, funny
    total 1420

Also if you were considering a single place the Volmer would make a great one with lots of baggage area and could occasionally carry a passenger.

skeeter

P.S. Skier, hope you got my email!
    Last edited by skeeter_ca; April 20th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.

Have you looked into the Christavia MK1? 65 hp, t-shirt and coat hangar construction.... I am thinking about building one and I think it will be relatively cheap.

Amor Patriae Nostra Lex

"Time, training, training, training and more training is the key to any success."
    Francis "Gabby" Gabreski

Wow. That's a neat little airplane! Somehow I've missed this one. Thanks for sharing! I think I'd personally work to cut down an overly-bulbous canopy (seems like it might blanket the vertical tail a little), but that's a personal preference. Love the paint job, too. Orders of magnitude better than the usual "White with a trim stripe or two" we see on practically everything else.

Looks like he's selling the rights to the aircraft, though, not kits. Might be a good opportunity for someone wanting to get into the business, if they've got the business end worked out, too.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry James Thoreau
    Member of the Lake Elsinore Soaring Club.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast