• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

NASA Prandtl-D Project - Yaw is propulsive, not drag --- Has Anyone Followed This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CobraCar11

NASA research is making it possible so that YAW can be a propulsive force!!!

I saw a news report video "thing" from "The Aero News Network" that was discussing the Prandtl-D project from NASA. In it, they discuss the "minimum induced drag for a wing" that was solved by Prandtl in 1920, but noone talks about his follow up solution in 1933 which was more complete.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Oh0Q0Dv28I
The main part of this discussion is at around 3:40, but the lead up to the topic starts at the beginning.

Some of the interesting things they mentioned is that the tail is 30% of drag, and some analysis around the winglets.

I have a technical background, but I did not quite understand the mechanics of what happens at the winglets that can be used to make yaw a propulsive force. Has anyone else been following this? Can anyone explain it better for the forum? It sounds like an incredible concept, but I can't quite wrap my head around it.

How great would it be to eliminate all that drag and inefficiency? It sounds like aircraft handling and performance would improve significantly. Could this eliminate adverse yaw effects?

Can anyone explain this in a way that the forums can understand this concept? Many thanks.

Safe Flying!

Back