• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Flight Experience for African Children.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Manticore

Most African children will never get a chance to fly - most will never even see an aircraft at close range.

Inspired by this: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/soaring/22034-who-says-primary-gliders-arent-any-fun.html
I have begun to design a 2-place Primary type glider.
Here is the first iteration:
Screenshot_2015-07-16_21-51-47.png
This is an attempt at a design which would conform with Tanzanian Ultralight rules (to get down to the specified 24kt stall speed I need an aerofoil with 1.6 CLMax and 180 sq. ft. {30 ft span, 6 ft chord} wing area with an empty weight of around 200 lbs. This is probably going to be too flimsy.

If I go to Microlight rules (35kt stall), I can more than double the empty weight while reducing the wing to 125 sq. ft {25 ft span, 5 ft chord), so it looks like that is the way to go.

I am looking into raising money through crowdfunding (don't know enough about it to know if this is really feasible).

Any suggestions anyone - particularly with regard to winch design?

(This would be used strictly for short hops. The idea is to get the maximum number of kids into the air in the minimum possible time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back