• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Scale Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camarogenius

Okay, Help a genius understand something.
In the world of scale model Warbirds, At full size, these things have 2,000 horse power, and weigh about three tons, in the case of the P-40. I'm sure others are heavier, but that's not the point.
Strictly from a size standpoint, if the size is only reduced by 25%, shouldn't the 75% scale model require 1,500 horsepower?
I see these 75% scale models, and they're only using 200 or 300 horsepower. I'm not sure I understand.
I understand that the weight of a scale model is much less that the original, due to it's construction, Lack of armor and armament, etc.
Is the reduced weight enough to allow a 25% reduction in size compatable to an 85% reduction in horsepower? And by deductive reasoning then, can I assume that a full scale warbird replica could give good performance with greatly reduced horsepower, as long as the weight is reduced roughly in proportion to the horsepower?
What is the magic horsepower to weight ratio?
I'm just trying to fine tune my understanding of the mechanics of flight.

Back