• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Kit-built Ercoupe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fly2kads

Supporting Member
Pops raised an interesting idea in another thread:

When is someone going to kit an Ercoupe with matched hole parts like the RV's ? The first aircraft that I owned was an Ercoupe. I'm an Ercoupe lover.

Rather than hijack that thread and run it off-topic, I thought I'd start a quick discussion here. I have never had the pleasure of flying an Ercoupe, but I keep hearing great things about them from current and former owners. I would like to hear from those in the Ercoupe fan club on what kinds of things they'd like to see in a hypothetical kit-built variant. If you had a magic wand (or wallet) and get a license from Univair for a kit variant, what features would you like to retain? What would you do differently? Coupled rudder and ailerons or separate? Nose wheel steering coupled to the yoke or on rudder pedals? How much up elevator?

Based on my own semi-informed opinion, I like the idea of something based on the -C model, but with a modern powerplant such as a Rotax 912 or ULPower 260. Thoughts?

The Ercoupe has been produced by at least five different companies over the years. There must be something that keeps people interested!

Back