+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Questions about owning a grass strip airport

Questions about owning a grass strip airport

There is a man near me who has his house/land up for sale. The land has a 2500' grass strip on it and it is listed as an airport. While the idea is very appealing to me, I'd like to know if anyone can enlighten me as to the details of owning an airport (or if you can tell me where to find such answers).

Does it have to remain as an airport once registered as such, or can it be used for something else if desired? (I'm thinking of zoning restrictions and things like the farmland preservation act)

are there any additional tax liabilities?

what type of maintenance would be required?

There is a home on the property, so I assume it is zoned residential...is this a bad assumption?

if it is zoned residential, would I be able to rent hangars to people without being considered a business?

what concerns should I have that I haven't mentioned, and are there any specific questions I should ask?

Edit: Moderators feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Re: Questions about owning a grass strip airport

Most of it depends on your local zoning.

Restrictions on keeping an airport an airport only apply to public airports that have received government funding.

I know know nothing about the tax situation, but I doubt there are any issues there unless you're renting hangar space, in which case it's income.

Maintenance, you need to cut the grass and maybe fill potholes. If it's for your own personal use you're not required to do anything.

For zoning questions, you have to look into the local situation... nobody here can answer. Sometimes airports are zoned as "open space", which would prevent you from subdividing it and building houses where the runway used to be. Not what you want to do but it could affect the property resale value.

There may be restrictions on the number of operation per day, or month, or whatever, but if it's a charted airport that may not apply.

If you rent hangars (zoning issues aside), then you no longer are protected by the "recreational liability statute" which would otherwise protect you if, say, a visiting pilot lands and breaks his airplane taxiing into a pothole. Under the recreational liability statue (every state has one, though the details vary) you're protected from liability until you charge money for the use of the property.

I'll move this to the "hangar flying" section.

-Dana

If it's not on fire, it's a software problem.
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

TFF

I dont know if they have any "home business" rules there, but I bet it would fit that. Reality is you will have to treat the airport as a business if you want to protect yourself. I would bet if the place is old, it was started without any of these considerations, but I would not carry that into the future. I would also bet the insurance will be killer if not a private strip. It was probably operated un insured.

Go get yourself a nice Ultralight, Take some lessons and enjoy your new hobby. Its alot of fun, you will learn alot not only about the sport of aviation but yourself. You will be a better person for doing it, there is no way around it.

There are those whom would love to have this chance, please do not destroy this field but use it. In this day and age its very hard to get into this hobby sport what have you. Hangar rent alone will break you in some parts.

Try it and you will like it......

Tony
    Topaz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    I dont know if they have any "home business" rules there, but I bet it would fit that. Reality is you will have to treat the airport as a business if you want to protect yourself. I would bet if the place is old, it was started without any of these considerations, but I would not carry that into the future. I would also bet the insurance will be killer if not a private strip. It was probably operated un insured.

In Illinois you can keep it as a private strip, the only ones allowed to land are those invited. I know one man whom says..NO ONE is Invited....Land at your own risk.....

Tony

I too live on a private, 2500 foot strip - but have the misfortune of sharing it with several other people. As to your situation, your answers will be found at your local zoning office. Generally though, having your own airport is the best thing ever - just don't make the mistake of going into a partnership/association. That always causes problems. Keep it to yourself and enjoy being the envy of every other pilot in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    There are those whom would love to have this chance, please do not destroy this field but use it.
    ...and I would be one of them. His asking price is a bit above what I can rationalize right now, but when I spoke with him he said check back in the spring. At this point it's still just dreaming, but if the opportunity arises I want to be prepared. The reason I asked about whether it would need to stay a field is precisely what Dana indicated....resale. Resale in the sense of how much is it worth so I didn't overpay, but also (while my intent would absolutely be to keep it as is, the reality of life does not always allow us to stick to our plans) to check on what I would be getting into should circumstances necessitate a sale/change.

Would a 'recreational liability statute' be listed with the local zoning codes or at a state level. If the latter, what office/branch would I need to contact to find out more?

Same question regarding operations per day.

Questions about owning a grass strip airport-sale.jpg
    Edit: Added picture
    Last edited by timberwolf8199; November 29th, 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Living With Your Plane Residential Airparks and Fly In Airport Communities
    These folks have been advocates for the TTF (through the fence) agreements with those who share gov't funded runways by owning properties next to them. AOPA legal services may be someone also to talk to also; they keep small airports from being shut down by naysayers.

In California, the specific details of the field (operations per day, day/night, runway setback, etc) are found in the conditional use permit granted by the county. In my paticular case, our current 2500 length was developed by butting two airports together - the latter added some 15 years after the first. And yes, one half of our airport has a CUP, and the the other half has its own CUP. With 15 years between the two, one is much more restrictive than the other.
    Topaz likes this.

I honestly LOVE grass strips, but the one thing to check on for a grass strip if you plan on using it year round is the water drainage. If not properly graded, water may pool, making the strip unsafe for landings. If you have time, visit the strip after a rain and see if there is standing water and how long it takes to drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post
    . And yes, one half of our airport has a CUP, and the the other half has its own CUP.
    I have a CUP, but I only wear it during contact sports.

Recreational liabilty statutes are at the state level, and can be found here:

American Whitewater - Liability and Recreational Use Statutes

As for operations per day, generally there's a limit beyond which it has to be a registered airport. Both the state and the feds may have limits... but if it's already a registered airport than you probably don't have an issue there.

Many people have airports listed "private", which basically means "prior permission required", but they do that for the liability, and don't really care who drops in "without permission". My experience is that accounts for about half of all private strips; the other half really don't want anybody else around. There's even a private airport on Long Island, owned by the town, with a 10,000' paved runway and 30 jets based there, but it's still listed as "Private use. Permission required prior to landing."

-Dana

Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip? To get to the other, er, um....
    Fisher FP-404
    ParaFan PPG
    Kolb Ultrastar

I own a grass strip(7MN3), in SE Minnesota, and might have some input. We are located in a rural township, so all zoned agricultural. The strip was built in 1978 and registered as a private field (requires our permission to land). Pretty much anyone with the integrity to give me a call first will have that permission. We have a number of folks who we've met in passing who've ended up dropping in for a visit. MN has a recreational land use statute, which protects us to a great extent from liability, that will vary state to state.

I also have a large hangar, and currently rent two spaces out. Pilots are responsible for their own insurance, we insure the building only, and the rental income is simply treated as any other rental property income. We've only lived here a bit over a year, but so far it's been wonderful. Our strip is 2700' and the previous owner flew a Bonanza and a Baron off it, so it'll handle anything I'm likely to fly. As for maintenance, we mow it and fill the occasional badger hole, but that's about it. We have a sandy site, so it drains well. We've flown off it within a few hours of a couple inches of rain and don't get any wet spots. It takes about 2.5 hours to mow it with a 6' JD mower. I've been on the lookout for a retired golf course fairway mower, but for now the smaller mower does ok. We have to mow about every 1-2 weeks depending on the weather.

Hope this helps,

Patrick

In case anyone is looking for a grass strip in California, just be aware that there is another type of "grass" that is legal in California, so be sure to specify which type of grass you are looking for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast