• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Green Flight Challenge - Relevance and Goals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saini flyer

Here is a compiled list of all groups/aircrafts at GFC website: The 2011 CAFE Green Flight Challenge

In MY OPINION, none of the aircrafts in the competition have any relevance for improving the deteriorating health of GA except one. Most are gliders with wing span as long as 75 ft. Pipistrel, being a very progressive company has a wingspan of 69 ft even tough they have announced a four seat plane (Panthera) based on the same electric propulsion system they are using in their GFC challenger. It is so frustrating that after the press conference and award ceremony, these one of a kind aircrafts will go to museums/novelty piece collectors except one who plans to fly all around the country.

How are these airplanes going to become GA's flagship advertiser? The single seaters are good but how do you take a young eagle up in the air with them? How do you get someone who is not a pilot interested in flying if you cant have a passenger seat. The number of pilots 20 years back (or was it 30) have dwindled down to 50% today and going down!

I think if you read the GFC document and it's goal, everyone of the contenders is out there to somehow fit in the rules (somewhat like loopholes) than work towards the true vision. I don't know if Mcginnis is going to make it at GFC or not but I sure hope his synergy aircraft and it's advanced design wakes up the old school guys!

Even after a $1.6 million event the safe, reliable, inexpensive, speedy cross country A/C with VTOL/STOL characteristics will be missing excluding Synergy. Folks, look closely, I just see one man standing out of the thirteen and I am scared he might not be able to make it to the finish line on time.

Back