+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suzuki Verona Engine (I6, 2.5L)

Suzuki Verona Engine (I6, 2.5L)

I looking for infomation on the Verona I6 2.5L engine, either photos of the sides of the engine or work shop manuals, and/or engineering drawings, etc., where I can get an understanding of what this engine looks like? I would eventually like to find a complete engine to work on.
    I have seen a few engines on ebay, like this one:
    eBay Motors: 2004 2005 SUZUKI VERONA ENGINE < 25,000 MILES (item 270336718024 end time Feb-27-09 08:29:08 PST)
    but I haven't seen any near-by in Ohio savage yards yet.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jan
    PS Anyone that would like to team up and help discover info on this engine to try to exploit it for aircraft use, contact me.
    Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)
    (Where we had the brains and not just the wind to make flight possible!)

Re: Suzuki Verona Engine (I6, 2.5L)

Ide be interested, from what i rememeber it was an Inline i believe. I know there were issues with the engine, specifically the 2004 year number seems to stand out in memory. I believe it was 150ish for HP, and around 170 for torque.

The engines has issue with leaky valves and low compression, typically cylinder 5 went first. it was a DOCH which makes the engine top heavy with twin cams driving 4 valves per cylinder. that and it used a distrubutorless ignition system, which was a direct coil on top of each cylinder i think, if i rememebr right, i could be wrong though don't quote me on that.

There is a Suzuki V-6 that is a know good engine to convert to aircraft use, infact it sounds like a Merlin Engine. Most of the oweners of the Titan T-51 put them in their airplanes now.
    Last edited by pepsi71ocean; March 7th, 2009 at 12:14 AM.

I'm looking for inline engines only, not "V" engines, I guess I should have made that more clear.
    Where/how did you get that experience on that engine? There's an suzuki forum, and I have not read anything about the short life of the valves. Most problems are with the computer.
    It is all aluminum.
    I have a few pics of a possible engine that I might get to evaluate:

Jan

I pumped gas when i was in high school, in the winter when there were no cars i worked in the garage part. eventually i became head gas attendant, and spend most of my time in the mechanics shop. Ive worked on alot of engines and cars in the 2 years ive been there, but there was this old lady who had a Suzuki Verona car, which was made by GMDAT. Well she was complaining about rough shifting between the gears, and when we tested the car we found the engine to be lagging as if it wasn't getting enough fuel, after a drop compression test we figured out the valves were leaking, the valve springs were worn out and they wouldn't seat properly, cylinder no. 5 was the worst.

She bought the car from another guy, had only 150K on it. tranny was fine the bands were good everything, we did a ton of work on that engine. New fuel pump, re did the valve springs, new head gasket seal, and the only odd thing was cylinder no. 5 needed new rings, the rest were fine. we did check the crank and the connecting rod they were slightly loose but that was fixed.

Might i inquire as to what your plans are for it?

EDIT: i worked as a mechanic for about 2 years, so that makes me a back yard mechanic to say, never had any formal training.

I'm looking for inline engines that might be suitable for WWI German fighter replicas, both full scale & scaled. This Suzuki engine (actually a Daewoo engineered engine with support from Porsche), looks good for scaled replicas.
    (I talked to the local Suzuki dealer and asked about problems. He mentioned they run hot under the hood, and all rubber based products; hoses, plug wires and so on, need early replacement. I asked about head gasket problems, and he said nothing like that. He did replace an engine once, he said. The factory shop manuals (I looked at his) are junk. About 20 pages cover the engine repair, while the remaining 4,000 pages (about 4" thick) cover the emissions, computer and other useless junk. I purchased a $40 software manual, on Ebay, and found out it has a trojan virous in it to record my key strokes! Geez!)
    Jan
    Last edited by jumpinjan; March 7th, 2009 at 10:43 AM.

interesting. her engine must have been a Friday made motor. the heat issues sound like inadequate cooling.

did you manage to get rid of the key logger?

If you can pinpoint where the engine bottlenecks with its cooling issue then i would say its worth perusing. Without having an engine to play with i couldn't comment on the cooling issue, it could be from restrictiveness in the block, to a small radiator, even an inadiquate water pump.

Outside of diesel engines, the only other gassers are like the old ford flathead 6, and the jeep engines, any jeep up until 2006 was an I-6. My buddy used to take the 4.0L inline and turn them into strokers for mudding reasons. getting rid of the short rods will lengthen life, while keeping the low RPM abilities of the engine. On his jeep he replaced the 258 rods with the 6.1 inch connecting rods however he kept the 258 crank. He perfered longer 6.1inch rods over the 258 rods which were 5.8 inches long. His reasoning was less piston wear. You can gain upwards of over 30+ cubic inches with just that alone. The longer the rod the more torque it produces and holds at lower rpm. anyways not trying to discourage you, i though ide bring it up.
    Last edited by pepsi71ocean; March 7th, 2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Wording, and Grammer

I'm avoiding iron block engines; No 292 GMs, no 300 Fords and no 4.2L Jeeps, just aluminum block & head inlines.
    Besides the 2.5L Verona, I'll be working on the 4.2L, I6 Trailblazer (Vortec) and the 3.7L Mercruiser I4 and try to be exploiting their capabilities too.
    Jan

Ive been around boats all of my life, and i know the Merk isn't aluminum, it should be magnesium. All boat engine mfg's use magnesium for their blocks and everything.

I know your trying to avoid Iron blocks, but is it due to the weight issue?

Some links:

AutoSpeed - Daewoo's New In-Line Six

Note: there is a click on pics for larger view prompt in blue, you actually click on the prompt to get the pictures in my experience.

The Power of Design and Technology - AutoWeb News

Bob,
    Thank you for finding & posting the links. Those slipped by me.
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjan View Post
    Bob,
    Thank you for finding & posting the links. Those slipped by me.
    Jan
    Actually I had them in my favorites because this engine interests me as well. I am a real fan of I6 engines. Superb natural balance and high torque.

The tech blurbs suggest that it should be a very rigid block which would be good for an airplane. Also it was engineered from the start to be quiet and smooth.

Specs show it to be 148kg/326#s. Its short length would almost have to be a 4 main crank. This too should be good because they are torsionally more rigid than the 7 main engines which have long cranks.

Far from a expert here but if interested in I6's why not take a look into some of the BMW motors and the VW VR6 (its far from a v6 more inline) Both have tons of aftermarket support(granted not aircraft related) that could be usefull in conversions??like cnc cut intake and exhaust flanges for making manifols to sttart.
    I do know there was a guy that did a psru for a bmw v10 for some people in austrailia,he was also doing the redrive for ls1 sbc v8's too.Cant remember who it was but the planetary setup was nice and had some hours on them proven allready.

+ Reply to Thread