+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Super Cub retractable leading edge slat

Super Cub retractable leading edge slat

SuperCub uses a retractable leading edge slat on their wing that still lets them fly at around 20 mph. I believe there are no complex cables and controls involved. It works on air pressure, and under 60 mph, it opens up, while speeds over that, it retracts which gives considerably more top end airspeed and economy. Many STOL aircraft didn't won't to use retractable leading edge slats due to it often making the system much more complex, but this doesn't appear to be the case with these. Their site doesn't seem to have too much in the way of details from what I've found thus far, but I'll keep looking. I'm guessing this is accomplish through springs? Anyone know?

I wrote Wayne at SuperCub, who said although the Zenith aircraft hasn’t ever contacted him, he says it would be a fairly simply process to adopt them to their planes as well.

Might give the Zenith 701, 750 and 801 crowd, and other STOL aircraft something to think about.

Backcountry SUPER CUBS - SUPER CUB Slat Kit information Page

Re: Super Cub retractable leading edge slat

That really is a pretty short landing in the video... Thanks

Those are not retractable slats, though, they appear to be fixed. A retractable system does involve a lot more complexity and the airfoil and slat airfoil need to be matched. I was always impressed with the Helio Courier system, which does retract and extend automatically, in separate inboard and outboard sections.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway John View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]SuperCub uses a retractable leading edge slat on their wing that still lets them fly at around 20 mph.
    I've often seen hilarious exaggerations of stall-speeds. Manufacturers often claim impossible numbers and this is just another one. 35 mph seems realistic. Below 30 is probably fantasy (or a wrongly placed pitot)
    Aude somniare

Indeed. 20 mph groundspeed against a 20mph headwind in videos usually. Whatever the ASI says, counts!

Still, they show impressive slow speed handling, whatever the actual speed may be.
    "Aeronautical engineering is highly educated guessing, worked out to five decimal places. Fred Lindsley, Airspeed."

Tom, glad you liked it.

PTAirco, I’ve heard others refer to it as a retract, but maybe that isn’t the best word to describe it. Don’t think it could be described as fixed either, since it does fold down Here’s a better pic of one comparing the system similar to Helio’s which they say were a spring loaded leading slat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themulder/3503281826/

Here’s a really cool experimental Super Cub video getting in and out of something that very few planes could. It didn’t have the slats, but gives an idea of how slow they go even without ‘em. Gotto love those tundra tires too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucdb0TKu3rk&feature=related

In those trees and mountains, there couldn’t have been too much of a strong wind. I’ve read from other sites that are using the leading edge slats and VG’s on the Super Cubs that are claiming even more amazing results. It’s difficult to substantiate, but one thing is for sure, they don't need much runway at all.

autoreplay,
    I think I would do a little more research before I made a statement such as you did. How about you contact Wayne Macky and have a talk with him about his plane. I am not saying one way or another that his speed is below 20 but he is not one to exagerate. I have seen the plane in question and he KNOWS how to fly it.
    WW

I worked on T39 Saber Liners they have leading edge slats that roll out on curved tracks. There are no springs or controls. When the airplane is parked they just hang out and you can just push them back in with a light touch. I was told that the F89 used the same system.

Man, these Super Cub guys, are HAPPY guys!

Voyeurger
    "Spitting In The Eye of Doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by Voyeurger View Post
    Ain't that the truth! Here's another one. Personally, I think his girl could have shown a little more enthusiasm though.

YouTube - How to impress yer chick at a hot spring.

If she is anything like MY wife, she is trying not to encourage his behavior. And, like my wife would, she DID get nekkid and climb in the tub. God bless her.
    Voyeurger

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway John View Post
    Tom, glad you liked it.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]PTAirco, Iíve heard others refer to it as a retract, but maybe that isnít the best word to describe it. Donít think it could be described as fixed either, since it does fold down Hereís a better pic of one comparing the system similar to Helioís which they say were a spring loaded leading slat.
    Ah, I see; it looks like a slat that is able to pivot and adjust itself to the airflow within certain limits. Still doesn't give the low drag advantage of a fully retractable slat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyeurger View Post
    Last week, I was practicing short field landings in a 90hp J3. I pulled off one that was so textbook perfect, so satisfying that I almost got out on the runway and did what those guys were doing! I may never do one like that again for the rest of my flying career, but I can say i did it once...
    Last edited by orion; March 23rd, 2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: video in quotes takes up too much space

Quote Originally Posted by PTAirco View Post
    Last week, I was practicing short field landings in a 90hp J3. I pulled off one that was so textbook perfect, so satisfying that I almost got out on the runway and did what those guys were doing! I may never do one like that again for the rest of my flying career, but I can say i did it once...
    I HOPE you had witnesses to give you an "attaboy". And sure you will do it again, more often likely.
    Voyeurger

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    autoreplay,
    I think I would do a little more research before I made a statement such as you did. How about you contact Wayne Macky and have a talk with him about his plane. I am not saying one way or another that his speed is below 20 but he is not one to exagerate. I have seen the plane in question and he KNOWS how to fly it.
    WW
    I don't have to contact him. 20 mph stall would mean a lift coefficient of 6.7 or so if it's soloed, no-fuel. At MTOW we're looking at even more hilarious claims, over 10. The guys at Boeing spend billions in surpassing 3-3.5. Do you really think this guy can just ignore those physics?

High Lift Systems: Introduction

I don't have anything against these slats. But exaggerated claims do ring a bell to me, especially if they're so overdone.

Last edited by autoreply; March 23rd, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Aude somniare

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast