• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ground speed vs altitude

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustind

How do I figure out TAS, true air speed? Is true air speed is the same as ground speed?

After reading Dust's plans for high flying I am wondering if it is worth it for me to cruise at a higher altitude when I am flying half way across the country. I am wondering what kinds of ground speed advantages I could expect flying at 17K vs 12K feet.

I would need air, but air systems are pretty cheap and easy to do. I already have a scuba tank and a smaller fiberglass tank.

I also assume that a normally aspired IO540 Lycomming with a C/S prop in a F1 rocket (it is like a RV-8) can efficiently go higher than the normal 8-11K feet that most people cruise at. Gas mileage is more important than speed to me.

Thank you again.

-Dustin

Back