• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

lookin at a set of plans and material and need some addvice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

hey guys, Well I am lookin at the plans for a stol 701. The seller hast the plans, float plans, folding wing plans, some aluminum and a geo with a reduction drive. The plans are from the mid 90's but he has the updates till spring of 03. as for the aluminum he only has about 6 sheets (1 4x16 .040, 1 2x16 .035 and a few 4x16 .016, But it may be 12, not 16) and it got no tags and he doesn't have any PO for it. As well he has a 8"x8"x8" box of ad and avex rivets. He claims that there is enuff to do the plane and the the floats there. I know the new plans are much better than the old and come on cd as well and can be got from zenith for 380 us.
The rivets can be got at aircraft spruce for 13 a lb for the ad's and 45 per 1000 for the avex. If i only knew exactly how much he had he claims there got to be 700 bucks worth of rivets. But he also claimed he had enuff aluminum to compleet the plane. When i contacted some builders threw the zenith site one told me list of required aluminum as per his plans. and looks like the seller is short about 10 sheets of 16 thou. As fot the geo not my first choice since i am a volks liquid cooled freek, I would like to build a 2000 plus cc aircool vw. But what would that geo and drive be worth??? And as for the aluminum is has no tracability and that bothers me. I am only in the process of diggin threw CAR's to read up on rules governing homebuilts and there construction. So quick questions does the materials used in a homebuilt have to be certified aircraft materials?? cause if so all the aluminum needed for the plan can be got at aircraft spruce for 1800 i think and all them amounts are in us funds. Also where else can ya get materials for building homebuilts perferably in canada. I have acess to plans for a hummelbird if i want to use them but the stol is a nice plan. Not that i need stol cabibilities cause i have sole access to a 2000' paved runway. Wich i am also triing to get my hands on :).

Back