• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Where to start?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanahan

I'm looking at building my first aircraft, the aim is really to learn. I have a reasonable grip on things in terms of construction the aim is to learn more about design. I have looked at a number of planes and while some have caught my eye, the ones in my price range (next to nothing) lack appeal. In the UK it seems that for any of the aircraft I like I would have to have my project overseen by an engineer, so why not design something to suit while I'm at it?

As this is my first aircraft I'm going to try and avoid anything too fancy. Simple wings, simple geometry (wishfull). That said I going to attempt a car engine conversion....

My idea is to take the plans for the "Teenie Two" HOME and basically upsize it, then tweak it until I have something a bit better looking.
The plans are for an entirelty sheet aluminium aircraft but I am considering fiber reinforced timber or even welded airframe...

Rambling aside, my question is this: Where to start?
I have heard different things about the genisis of designs but I always thought that an aircraft is essentially built around the engine. Is that the case or is that one approach to design? I ask because I am aiming at having the design completed in a year and the project completed in 5yrs. This would mean that in order to do things properly I would have to begin with the engine conversion rather than the plans, as any problems encountered would impact the whole design. Has anyone had any experience with this?

It would suit me much better to tinker with the plans for a few months before I have to pay for anything (I also don't want to build an engine only to have my plans rejected).
On the other hand I get the feeling that this moment may one day return to me in hindsight, so I'm tempted to take the more humble approach... While experience tells me that the only way to succeed in these ventures is to count it off as a loss from the start and hope that one day you can prove yourself wrong...

There seems to be a fine line between following your dreams and being an idiot, how do you stay on track?

Back