• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Unconventional twin configurations.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autoreply

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seb sent me a PM about unconventional twin configurations. Since I think it's a good idea that everybody can participate, let's reply on the forum. I don't copy his PM, since it was a private one and it's up to him to make it public.

I'll kick off with my push-pull design. Tandem-seat, DO-335-like aircraft with a Rotax in the front and the back. CofG is a major issue. You can get away with that with 2 light engines and a relatively heavy payload (a Rotax weights the same as a single passenger), to keep the tail length acceptable. For heavier engines though (Lyc/Conti) that doesn't work so well anymore since the tail gets really long, draggy and heavy.

To avoid that problem, I can image a push-pull aircraft with an off-axis tailboom. Something like this design by TopAz:
1576d1209021518-just-starting-out-2.jpg

Let's make it a big fuselage with a push and pullprop and a single tailboom, instead of the double tailboom of the Adam A500. I think that's an interesting design, considerably simpler than the double boom of a C-337/A500.

Back