• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Anyone ever wanted to build a wooden biplane sailplane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

The reason for wood is it is cheaper than carbon fiber, I assume.
I'm aware that carbon fiber is not instantly stronger than a wood design, but has to be engineered right to be rigid, just like a wood design.

I know biplanes have more drag than monoplanes. But because of their strength, I think you can pick any airfoil you want without worrying about spar depth.

But here is my twist: Make one of the wings much smaller corded than the other, so it just streamlines the spar cap inside it. The webbing is the struts and wires. The struts would be V's with the small wing at the point.

There would still be the drag of the wires and struts, but far less interference between the wings since one of the wings would be so much smaller than the other. There would be the strength of a biplane wing, but the same choice of thin airfoils and span available to carbon fiber planes, at the price of wood.

What I don't know is if the best airfoil could make up for the struts and wires, compared to a very think airfoil of 18%. I also don't know if a wooden biplane could compete with a carbon fiber spar for span. But there must be a reason why early airplanes were biplanes instead of 18% thick mono wings. I think the L/D would be close to some of the thicker airfoils, but the strength might be higher.

Do you guys think this could be a good idea for high aspect ratio wooden wings?

Back