• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Questions about landing strip, and plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Hello, I've got a few questions here and I'm looking for some help getting myself pointed in the right direction. I'm pretty much new to flying and building planes and learning to fly has been a life long dream. Right now I'm putting together my plan on how to make that all happen. Along with learning to fly I intend to build my own plane.

I bought plans for the Pietenpol Aircamper. I wanted a wood frame plane because I'm very familiar with working with wood. I also wanted a simple plane that is relatively inexpensive to build and this seemed to fit the bill. I also appreciate that the Pietenpol can qualify as an LSA. I'm planning on using a Corvair engine with it also. Another thing to consider is that I'm 6'3" and weigh 230 lb. With a second passenger in the Pietenpol I'm concerned about overloading it. Eventually, I'd really like to be able to take my son flying with me.

The other part of what I'm considering is building a grass landing strip at my house. I've got room for a 75' wide by 990' long strip. At the end of the strip the plane would have to clear a barbed wire fence, but then there would be plenty of room. Would this be enough for the Pietenpol? Would this be enough for a variety of planes to land? Is this even worthwhile? I may be able to approach the neighbors with the idea of of a land swap to gain some length on the end of the runway if needed, but I'd rather avoid that if absolutely necessary.

The part of the project I'm at right now is getting ready to build a shop where I can build the plane. I also work on cars, build boats, do some woodworking, etc. This shop will need to accomodate that along with the plane. If a landing strip is feasible, then should I consider building a shop with a door wide enough that I can pull a plane in and out of? Eventually I'll be able to build a separate building to keep the finished plane in. Would that be better? How wide of a door should I make? The Pietenpol wingspan is 30'. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to accomodate both a plane and cars without things getting too much in the way of each other.

I know I'm a ways away from being able to fly, but I'd rather get good input on how to bring this all together now rather than have to backtrack later. Any advice or insight on all this would be appreciated.

Back