+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-seat canard homebuilt?

6-seat canard homebuilt?

I've been an aircraft nut for as long as I can remember and am looking at my options for building my own.

Looking for a larger plane; a 6-seat would be nice. Would also need to accommodate skis and snowboards. Range at gross doesn't have to be exceptional -- I'm willing to sacrifice this aspect a bit. I also intend to go the diesel route.

A while back the wingco got me excited. I like the idea of a lifting body to increase gross and the body-wing-body is a neat way to reduce drag and increase storage options, but wingco seems to be stagnant at best (iirc they never quite got any momentum and then a hurricane slamed them).

The velocity is the closest to what I've seen so far, but I'd like something a bit bigger, i.e. longer, for an extra seat and it doesn't seem the velocity would hold skis/snowboards.

Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards canards as that seems to be the most efficient way to haul both people and cargo at a decent speed and matched by only a more expensive conventional design.
    Last edited by HBDan; March 10th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.

Re: 6-seat canard homebuilt?

There is currently no canard aircraft that meets your needs. At one point, velocity was considering developing a twin (think mini beech starship). IIRC, this twin had 6 seats, but it never went beyond a scale model stage.

The only 6 seat homebuilts I can think of are the murphy moose, some of the compair line, and some of the epic aircraft. Epic went out of business, Murphy is almost out of business. My bet is that a Compair of that size is a $300K+ aircraft, at the minimum.

This is one of those cases where the certified aircraft market has VASTLY better options than the homebuilt market. Bonanzas, Cessna 206s and 210s, Cherokee 6s, etc. A good example of any of these will probably cost less than half of what a Compair will cost.
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

I'd like to capitalize on modern technology rather than going with a WW2-era technology option. Want to go diesel too.

I came across the Stallion which may do the trick. Not sure if there's a good diesel option for it. Maybe the DeltaHawk would work. I sent them an email.

I wonder if Velocity's turboprop frame with a diesel could be an option. We'll see what they do with it.

Bummer Epic is out of business. I only just came across their site and was impressed. Outside my budget anyway though.

There is a Stallion owner who frequents this site. Hopefully he will see this thread.
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

The velocity is the closest to what I've seen so far, but I'd like something a bit bigger, i.e. longer, for an extra seat and it doesn't seem the velocity would hold skis/snowboards.
    They make Baggage pods that hold Skis, golf clubs, etc.

They look like bombs mounted under the wings.

Waiter
    F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget
    LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract
    visit: www.iflyez.com

There's not alot out there in this size. Here are a couple designs for consideration, though none are offered as kits/plans.

Lockspeiser LDA-01
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rayfielb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]
    http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...kspeiser+LDA-1

Gweduck- not a canard, but BIG
    Gweduc Amphibian - Home Page
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6-seat canard homebuilt?-lockspeiser-lda0102.jpg  

You might be interested in the 5-seat Atlantica a BWB, though I'm completely unaware of their current status:

Atlantica Blended Wing Body

As far as I know, there is no diesel option for the Stallion. I flew mine with the recommended Continental IO-550. Others are flying with a Walter turboprop engine. A few builders decided on Lycomings and are "still working on them". One builder was close with an auto-conversion but gave up and donated his whole project to a charity. There is a builder in Florida working on an auto-conversion. But no diesels... There is a lot of work to build a Stallion and a lot more if you change out the engine from its original design. But it is a great plane...

For passenger count and cargo space, I think Compair is probably the first choice that comes to mind for most people.

I find Compair's heavy and slow. But you can find some deals here if this is your plane.

Welcome to Sreya Aviation

I don't remember the name of it, but there was once a homebuilt (conventionally configured high wing) that had 4 landing gear (2 front and 2 rear, like a car). From what I remember of the appearance, I would guess that it had a sizeable seating capacity. Anyone remember the name or have any pictures?

Of course, you might be able to build something like this and put diesels on it :

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...html#post64517

Bruce

I believe this is what you are thinking of:
    Magnum Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by bmcj View Post
    Of course, you might be able to build something like this and put diesels on it :
    ... if you find them

The only diesels around are the Thielerts (and Austros). Ofcourse there are also the WWII diesels, but apart from those it's very hard to think of a diesel that wouldn't be impossible to get airborne..

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schubert View Post
    I believe this is what you are thinking of:
    Magnum Pickup
    Yep, that's it. Thanks Autoreply. I find it interesting that he started the design it in 1981, but flew it to Oshkosh in 1944.

Have you considered designing your own?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast