• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How do companies make money off of ultra-lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I would think the shipping alone would cost a ton, unless it is in really small parts that take time to construct. How many people like making stuff from kits?

And easier method would be to just sell them the plans, but I bet those are bootlegged all the time.

So if you invent a really desireable ultra-light, would you be able to make much money off it? Is high shipping price just accepted and tacked on with the high aiplane price? How does that work?

My guess is I'd have to keep the plans secret, and wait for orders. If I get an order in Chicago for example, I'd contact a shop in chicago and ask them to build that plane for that price. I'd then have them sell it to that person at my price, and them keep a labor/shop time fee. Sooner or later the plans would leak out, and people would modify it or use ideas from it. And also their might be law suits rolling in too.

The alternative is to build it myself, and then charge them the shipping for an 8 foot by 8 foot by 8 foot crate to go across the country. Probably $500 shipping if I'm lucky.

Back