+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Fastest Light Sport Airplane?

Re: Fastest Light Sport Airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by pilot50 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a separate glider license anymore. It's a category on a sport pilot, recreational pilot or private pilot license. So, a medical seems to be required to fly anything with Vh > 120 kt.

jh
    Oops, I was only half right. There is no "glider license", but the current FAR says: (b) Operations not requiring a medical certificate. A person is not required to hold a valid medical certificate—
    (1) When exercising the privileges of a student pilot certificate while seeking—
    (ii) A pilot certificate with a glider category rating or balloon class rating;
    (3) When exercising the privileges of a pilot certificate with a glider category or balloon class rating;

Ok, what's the fastest balloon? ;-p

Motorglider at highest permitted altitude seems like the loophole, but I don't know how high that is. Is it really worth it to get a few extra knots?

Yes, one S-LSA airplane that is fast is the Sting. I fly these airplanes regularly and at higher altitudes I see TAS of around 130 knots. If you can get a little tailwind, 150 knots is no problem.

Sting S3 & Sirius: Light Sport Aircraft

I have seen some references to "75% power". There is nothing in the LSA rules that state Maximum Continuous Power as 75% power. If a S-LSA manufacturer wants to set the maximum continuous power at 100% or any other number, they can. The above mentioned Sting with the supplied prop will do 120 KIAS at sea level on a standard day at 5800 rpm.
    Rick Pellicciotti, Chief Pilot
    Belle Aire Aviation
    http://www.belleaireaviation.com
    http://www.lightsportflying.com

Quote Originally Posted by rpellicciotti View Post
    ...I have seen some references to "75% power". There is nothing in the LSA rules that state Maximum Continuous Power as 75% power. If a S-LSA manufacturer wants to set the maximum continuous power at 100% or any other number, they can. The above mentioned Sting with the supplied prop will do 120 KIAS at sea level on a standard day at 5800 rpm.
    Actually, it is the engine manufacturer that sets max continuous power, not the LSA manufacturer. Rotax 912s have a max continous power of about 90% (e.g. the 912S has a max power of 100hp with a max continous of 90hp).

Infact, power is not the best term. The FAA rules deal with calibrated airspeed, at sea level, at max continuous RPM. It is one of the reasons why the Sonex with a Jabiru 3300 is only LSA compliant if one of the earlier 3300A engines are used (max continous RPM of 2750rpm) or the current 3300L is used (max continous RPM of 2850rpm). A current 3300A engine, with a max continous RPM of 3150, will result in a CAS that is above 120kts, unless a different prop is used.
    Jon McDonald
    Building Sonex #1287

Another "potentially" fast and beautifully designed aircraft the DyneAero MCR series

www.dynaero.com

Dino

Runnnnn its probably worth checking out the regulations in your country. If your in the USA you are limited to a top speed of 120kts (from what people have been saying here). If your in Australia, for example, there is no upper speed limit.

I'm still waiting for some guy to build an E-AB with barely enough wing to meet the LSA stall speed requirement, put a big non certificated engine (so he's the engine builder and can define the limits as he pleases) in in but declare its max continuous power at something like 25% or whatever it takes to meet the LSA max, and fly it as a Sport Pilot.

-Dana

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

If you have either Private or LSA certificate your CFI does not have to have glider experience. Just get him to Type-endorse you for the Pipistrel Virus SW under power, then fly it to a site where glider instruction is available. Now is the time to look at their kits because the Euro was down to 1.2646 yesterday. You can get a Factory-Built, Pipistrel Sinus [SeenUs] or Virus [VeerUs], NOT the SW, flyable, but no options, delivered to the East Coast for about $90,000. You can download their interactive pricelists at pipistrel-usa.com. It also won "Quietest Cockpit" and other awards at the CAFE tests in 2007 and 2008. Would love to have one.

Regards,
    John

The Arion Lightning LSA is sold ready to fly, uses the Jabiru 3300 engine, can easily cruse at 10k ft at 120kn IAS. It is a slick composite airplane. You can look it up at flylightning.net. I love my non-LSA experimental version of the Lightning flying since Nov 07.

Dick Cleavinger
    N213rc

If it's speed you want, stay away from the light sport category. Far away.

Quote Originally Posted by AnxiousInfusion View Post
    If it's speed you want, stay away from the light sport category. Far away.
    OP stipulated, "Within the Light Sport Airplane category, which airplane is the fastest for long cross country flights?" so the observation doesn't relate to the question asked.

Some of the discussion was interesting and useful. One of my questions in this regard was touched on by several posters. That is, many LSA advertise 118 or 120 knots, but how many actually perform as advertised and under what circumstances?

I, too, and thinking seriously of an LSA that will fly to the limits permitted. My application would find that useful, as I would use an LSA for some longer flights.

To those who would say "well, 115 or 118 knots is nearly as good as 120 knots" my question, again, is to concede that but ask if it can produce the 115 or 118 as designed and built or if this is only a number that can be reached rarely and not sustained? I'm looking for the long-haul bird with the best legal numbers for the entire trip at all legal altitudes.

Interesting discussion so far.
    Jon Ferguson likes this.

TFF

The 120kts is fire-walled at sea level, so at altitude what ever you get is what ever you get. But also no one flies fire-walled up high; they pull the power back to 60-75% and lean out if they can to gain range at the expense of overall speed. Again, upstairs is whatever you get; FAA requires the numbers at sea level. You have to think that the manufacturers dont want to flirt too close to the edge and have the FAA question the true legality, which they can at any time,there right; ask anyone who owned an Alouette helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I'm still waiting for some guy to build an E-AB with barely enough wing to meet the LSA stall speed requirement, put a big non certificated engine (so he's the engine builder and can define the limits as he pleases) in in but declare its max continuous power at something like 25% or whatever it takes to meet the LSA max, and fly it as a Sport Pilot.

-Dana
    Have you looked at the Carbon Cub which puts a 180hp engine in and derates it?

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    The 120kts is fire-walled at sea level, so at altitude what ever you get is what ever you get. But also no one flies fire-walled up high; they pull the power back to 60-75% and lean out if they can to gain range at the expense of overall speed.
    Even with the turbo engines?
    Again, upstairs is whatever you get; FAA requires the numbers at sea level. You have to think that the manufacturers dont want to flirt too close to the edge and have the FAA question the true legality, which they can at any time,there right; ask anyone who owned an Alouette helicopter.
    Some manufacturers advertise 120 kts, some don't. I'm wondering if those who don't (or even those who do) are posting numbers that can not generally be achieved and sustained by ordinary pilots in ordinary use. I'd rather have a 115 kt airplane that will really do it than a 120 kt machine that maybe won't even do 110 most of the time. We see disparity between published and real numbers all the time in standard aircraft and kit aircraft, and real versus book speed is a common topic among owners and pilots.
    So, my question, again, is oriented at the published numbers and their accuracy. If anyone knows of gross disparities, it would be nice to learn about it first form our peers rather than if I buy/build one and am disappointed because it won't perform as advertised.

TFF

Dont discount range over overall speed. I flew with a friend to OSH in his RV7. We flew lean of peak at 7 gallons an hour at a speed of 140 Kts indicated. At that rate we had a 700 mile range and 5 hours of indurance. If we flew rich of peak at full power burning 15+ gallons an hour we could have flown 170 kts but we would have had less than 3 hours of indurrance and less than 500 mile range. We would have had to stop somewhere to get fuel and spend at least 30 min on the ground. Also fuel cost $28 an hour at 7 gal. and $60 at 15 gal. That is a bunch of money. You still pull the Turboed engines back, but you are doing better hp wise because you are getting rated sea level hp at alt.
    Jon Ferguson likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast