• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Building the perfect biplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyyj-pilot

Hello,
I'm seriously looking at the Fisher biplane kits: the Classic and the Celebrity. Like most wise builders, I don't want to 'commit' to such a large project only to regret it later. I'm in the lengthy research stage right now.
I've read some articles on both planes. One comment is that the forward vis is poor while landing. Typically, this is addressed with flaps, yet both designs are flapless. Is there a reason many biplanes don't have flaps? Also, both these designs have ailerons on upper and lower wings. Why not eliminate the linkage, and just use one wing? If there isn't enough authority at low speed, increase the area of the aileron. Is there a downside to this thinking??

While surfing, I also saw a plan for a 75% scale Stearman (Sirius Aviation), but very little detail. Anyone know more about this kit?

What are all the pros and cons of a biplane design (vs. monowing)? Let's have some discussion!! :-{)
-Mike

Back